RINGING IN FIFTH GEAR AT 55 MPH +

More
17 Oct 2010 21:18 - 17 Oct 2010 21:35 #407337 by at20
RINGING IN FIFTH GEAR AT 55 MPH + was created by at20
hey guys how yall doing today. i have a lil question . i jave a kz400 that i love and im starting to put some work into but i have notice that when im out riding and get the chance to pick up speed i hear a ringing that sounds like its coming from the engine. im new at this bike thing since its my first and i dont even know where to start looking. i thought it was my keys but or maybe my headlght shaking but its not. i think i have an issue can anyone help . please remember that i only hear this in fifth gear and something else i noticed is when i hear that ringing noise i notice that i leaking oil from the left side somewhere

mind you i still cant go faster then 55mph without the bie feeling like its on its last

any help ideas or tips will gladly be appreciated

1976 kz400
Last edit: 17 Oct 2010 21:35 by at20.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
17 Oct 2010 21:34 #407340 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic RINGING IN FIFTH GEAR AT 55 MPH +
at20 wrote:

...kz400...riding and get the chance to pick up speed i hear a ringing that sounds like its coming from the engine...only hear this in fifth gear....

Has diagnosis of pinging or pre-ignition already been ruled out as possible source of the ringing sound?

It often occurs when accelerating in fifth gear.

May result from wrong spark plug, too lean mixture, incorrect ignition timing, excessive compression, low octane fuel, etc.

It's a dangerous condition than can progress to a holed or melted piston.

May remove and inspect spark plugs and notice little balls of aluminum and/or an obviously lean burn condition.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
17 Oct 2010 21:38 #407341 by at20
Replied by at20 on topic RINGING IN FIFTH GEAR AT 55 MPH +
well i keep checking my plugs and they look the same like always and i match them in my clymer repair book and they match normal

1976 kz400

More
17 Oct 2010 22:03 #407343 by Patton
at20 wrote:

...mind you i still cant go faster then 55mph without the bie feeling like its on its last....

Something critical may be loose or about to fall apart. :pinch:

Has drive chain slack been checked? Cam chain tension? But these are only two of numerous possible unusual noise sources.

Would check out unusual noise trouble shooting in FSM.

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
17 Oct 2010 22:23 #407346 by at20
So are you saying that its a chain that is making that ringing noise or are you saying that its the chain in the engine that is making the ringing sound

1976 kz400

More
18 Oct 2010 04:27 - 18 Oct 2010 04:29 #407370 by Patton
at20 wrote:

So are you saying that its a chain that is making that ringing noise or are you saying that its the chain in the engine that is making the ringing sound

Might be either, both or neither.
Just suggested items to check out, based on the reported "ringing" sound, which could also be caused by numerous other possibilities.

If bike feels unstable, shakey, or wobbly when ridden, it's likely dangerous to ride it.

Primary concern here is to avoid risking personal injury until the matter is resolved.

...mind you i still cant go faster then 55mph without the bie feeling like its on its last.... Any elucidation possible? :unsure:

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 18 Oct 2010 04:29 by Patton.

More
18 Oct 2010 08:25 #407401 by at20
I mean don't get me wrong. I do have the ringing my a give it gas in fifth gear but I don't have any shaking or antything like that. I just don't wanna mess anything up so I don't go any faster because it doesn't seem like it has any more power

1976 kz400

More
18 Oct 2010 08:46 #407406 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic RINGING IN FIFTH GEAR AT 55 MPH +
When all is well, that 400 will zip right past the double 5. Clearly, something is amiss. The factory shop manual has good diagnosis techniques listed for a host of problems. This website does, too if you are patient enough to wade through it.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
18 Oct 2010 09:22 #407410 by at20
i know thats what everyone tells me PATTON has been real helpful. hes been there ever since i signed up. im glad you guys take time to help becasue i dont know where to start. i just feeling that the ringing is a problem. so i just stay out of fifth gear until i really find out the issue

1976 kz400

More
18 Oct 2010 10:32 - 18 Oct 2010 10:36 #407424 by Patton
In an earlier thread,
at20 wrote:

...i tried checking the timing and im still lined up with the (F) on the plate. i cant get the actual lines to match cuz the manual said some need to be lined with the edge of the (F) so i left it the way it is....

If not already doing it this way, when setting ignition timing for idle by aligning the F mark with the permanent case mark, be sure to use the F MARK and not any part of the actual letter F.

Could also use a timing light to watch the advancer function, and assure that it's quickly moving back and forth (not hanging or sticking) when varying rpm by blipping the throttle.

Advancer might need lube, and maybe both clean and lube.

Also, if fitted with a points style ignition, and not already done, the points contacts should be cleaned, and the gap checked, before aligning the F mark.

The example shown below is for a four cylinder engine, but principle should be the same for a twin cylinder engine's advancer unit.

[Click on image to enlarge view.]

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 18 Oct 2010 10:36 by Patton.