Ticking Valve at idle on cylinders 3 or 4...

• Kitten Tooth
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Oct 2010 19:45 #406730 by Kitten Tooth
Ticking Valve at idle on cylinders 3 or 4... was created by Kitten Tooth
So i found that i have a ticking valve on either cylinder 3 or 4.. It seems to only tick when the motor is warmed up and been running for a few minutes. Its a small tick (almost sounds like its low on oil but its not).. Like i have said 1000 times before, it runs like a monster and i have good compression. Im worried though because i called a good mechanic i know that specializes in the older KZ bikes and he said that if it gets bad enough it could "spit a shim" meaning that it could fire the shim out and destroy the head. I plan on driving this thing some more before it gets completely cold out there. i just want some peace of mind:D He said that if the the adjustment gets too far off that the shim will start to float in there at around 6000RPM and at that point it could shoot out. Do you guys think i should get in there and just do the job now or do you think it can wait till the storage period when i totally overhaul it?

Thanks guys,
KT

1981 Kawasaki KZ1000-K LTD
1983 Suzuki GS300L-D
1982 Suzuki GS300L-Z sold:(
1976 KZ400D3
1973 Z900... I WISH

DO A BARREL ROLL!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
14 Oct 2010 20:03 #406737 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic Ticking Valve at idle on cylinders 3 or 4...
Kitten Tooth wrote:

So i found that i have a ticking valve on either cylinder 3 or 4.. It seems to only tick when the motor is warmed up and been running for a few minutes. Its a small tick (almost sounds like its low on oil but its not).. Like i have said 1000 times before, it runs like a monster and i have good compression. Im worried though because i called a good mechanic i know that specializes in the older KZ bikes and he said that if it gets bad enough it could "spit a shim" meaning that it could fire the shim out and destroy the head. I plan on driving this thing some more before it gets completely cold out there. i just want some peace of mind:D He said that if the the adjustment gets too far off that the shim will start to float in there at around 6000RPM and at that point it could shoot out. Do you guys think i should get in there and just do the job now or do you think it can wait till the storage period when i totally overhaul it?

Thanks guys,
KT

Tim,

Would need one of your videos to hear what it sounds like.

If you want to check the valves and need a valve cover gasket....pm me your mailing address and I'll send one off to you no charge. If you tell me what size shim you need, I'll send one of those also...

Larry C

More
14 Oct 2010 20:25 #406740 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic Ticking Valve at idle on cylinders 3 or 4...
Exhaust leak most likely.

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
14 Oct 2010 21:20 #406756 by Patton
How many miles since the valve clearances were checked and found or set within specs?

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• Kitten Tooth
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
14 Oct 2010 21:56 #406761 by Kitten Tooth
Replied by Kitten Tooth on topic Ticking Valve at idle on cylinders 3 or 4...
mkay, A short trip to the garage tomorrow and ill find out what size shim. Do the shims wear out over time? I'm honestly not sure how that all works. All i have done to a motor was timing and putting the pistons into the cylinders. (not on a KZ1000 though) Soon enough ill do it on one of these though:)
Once again, Thanks Larry!!

1981 Kawasaki KZ1000-K LTD
1983 Suzuki GS300L-D
1982 Suzuki GS300L-Z sold:(
1976 KZ400D3
1973 Z900... I WISH

DO A BARREL ROLL!!