76 KZ650

More
14 Oct 2010 09:56 #406590 by bloglos
76 KZ650 was created by bloglos
I have a chance to buy a 76 KZ650 for next to nothing. It looks to be in great physical shape, but the big problem is one of the spark plug threads is stripped in the engine. How big of a deal is this? Should I avoid this thing? I already have a 78 KZ650 C2 which is running great. Worst case, can I use this as a parts bike for my C2? or are they enough differences that I shouldn't bother.

I would love to use this second bike as a means to learn more about bikes and ultimately get it running but I'm concerned about the stripped thread.

78 KZ650 C2 - Runner
77 KZ650 B1 - Project

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
14 Oct 2010 10:05 #406594 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic 76 KZ650
A competent shop can install an insert with the head on. Pretty cheap and can be reliable given the right person installing and the right insert.

More
14 Oct 2010 10:08 - 14 Oct 2010 10:09 #406595 by loudhvx
Replied by loudhvx on topic 76 KZ650
It may have been built in 76, but I think it has to be a 1977 model. C1 or B1.

I don't think Kaw has a 1976 model KZ650.
Last edit: 14 Oct 2010 10:09 by loudhvx.

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
14 Oct 2010 10:10 #406597 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic 76 KZ650
bloglos wrote:

I would love to use this second bike as a means to learn more about bikes and ultimately get it running but I'm concerned about the stripped thread.

Hmm...missed that - my bad.

If you're looking to do it yourself, an insert isn't difficult to do, but for a first time it might be difficult to get it right. The Timeserts are probably the best ones to use for this as they have a tool that assists you in getting the tap straight for the inserts.

A stripped spark plug hole is not uncommon or a huge deal, although some recommend removing the head to do it. Is that all that is wrong with the bike?

More
14 Oct 2010 10:11 - 14 Oct 2010 10:11 #406598 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic 76 KZ650
bloglos wrote:

I have a chance to buy a 76 KZ650 for next to nothing. It looks to be in great physical shape, but the big problem is one of the spark plug threads is stripped in the engine. How big of a deal is this? Should I avoid this thing? I already have a 78 KZ650 C2 which is running great. Worst case, can I use this as a parts bike for my C2? or are they enough differences that I shouldn't bother.

Stripped spark plug hole may be repaired with Heli Coil or Time-Sert.

Is it for certain that the threads are actually stripped as opposed to being cross-threaded?

When cross-threaded, there's sometimes sufficient metal remaining to re-thread the hole.
A reverse tap is a handy tool for this, which re-threads starting from the deep end of the hole where the threads are usually still intact, and without needing to remove the head.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 14 Oct 2010 10:11 by Patton.

More
14 Oct 2010 10:40 #406602 by bloglos
Replied by bloglos on topic 76 KZ650
DoubleDub wrote:

bloglos wrote:

Hmm...missed that - my bad.

If you're looking to do it yourself, an insert isn't difficult to do, but for a first time it might be difficult to get it right. The Timeserts are probably the best ones to use for this as they have a tool that assists you in getting the tap straight for the inserts.

A stripped spark plug hole is not uncommon or a huge deal, although some recommend removing the head to do it. Is that all that is wrong with the bike?

The carbs need cleaning and the rubber boots look like they need replacing, the bike has been sitting for a looong time, but was parked because of the stripped thread. I'm sure I'll find other things that need fixing or replacing, but the bike looks to be in really nice shape. He's asking so little that I think I'd be crazy to not buy it, even for a parts bike (Assuming I could use it as a parts bike for my C2)

78 KZ650 C2 - Runner
77 KZ650 B1 - Project

More
14 Oct 2010 10:46 #406605 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic 76 KZ650
the repair is simple as stated before, couple of questions, has it been outside where water and such could have got into the open cyl? also does the motor turn over?
but then again, it could be a good parts bike still even if the motor is locked up.

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
14 Oct 2010 17:01 #406663 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic 76 KZ650
The '77 ('76) does have a different charging system than your '78, but most of the rest can be good for spares.
You can also convert to the '77's charging system if need be.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
14 Oct 2010 17:06 - 14 Oct 2010 17:07 #406665 by Injected
Replied by Injected on topic 76 KZ650
If its been sitting in a garage or barn somewhere the brakes will be junk for sure... I just bought one like that and it had been under a blue tarp for at least 10 years.

I thought the brakes were OK until I stripped everything apart and found all the seals and pistons needed replaced due to moisture and rust in the brake fluid.

At first stuff looks OK... then you dig deeper and really have a hard look and it becomes clear that a lot of stuff is un-useable... a lot of the chrome was so far gone it had pitched - it was cheaper buying good used replacement parts than rechroming!

By no means am I trying to persuade you not to buy it - parts are getting rare used with parts every day being dropped from service by Kawasaki, so I would say buy it at least for a parts bike. If the chrome is good and straight buy it for sure !!!

There is no problem with parts compatibility between those models except for the brakes and wheels are different (between B and C) and if a 77 some electrical.
Last edit: 14 Oct 2010 17:07 by Injected.