cam to crank timing

More
08 Oct 2010 20:14 #405363 by skemp101
cam to crank timing was created by skemp101
I have an 1983 gpz 750 original owner, I bored out the engine .030 over. Valve job to head and new wiseco pistons and rings. I had low compression after the rebuild, about 90lbs in all 4 cyl. Moving the cam a tooth or 2 would change compression a little. Anyone know the trick to setting the cams to crank position. it was runnimg rough at one point. I tore it down again to inspect pistons and valves. everything looks great. it should have 150 psi in cyl. Thanks for any input.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Oct 2010 20:35 #405380 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic cam to crank timing
have you got a manual? B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
09 Oct 2010 07:05 #405443 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic cam to crank timing
No eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationNo eBay APP ID and/or Cert ID defined in Kunena configurationskemp101 wrote:

I have an 1983 gpz 750 original owner, I bored out the engine .030 over. Valve job to head and new wiseco pistons and rings. I had low compression after the rebuild, about 90lbs in all 4 cyl. Moving the cam a tooth or 2 would change compression a little. Anyone know the trick to setting the cams to crank position. it was runnimg rough at one point. I tore it down again to inspect pistons and valves. everything looks great. it should have 150 psi in cyl. Thanks for any input.

Hello, Scott, and WELCOME to KZR! :cheer:

If interested, these manuals are available.

Price is right, but time is short, on the first one.

The 2nd comes highly recommended and is probably one of the best manuals available.

Meanwhile, a leakdown test might prove helpful with regard to the lowish compression.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
09 Oct 2010 19:04 #405576 by JR
Replied by JR on topic cam to crank timing
You can download the full shop manual here kz.mbsween.com/manual.html

See pages 54, 55 and 56 of the manual. The bottom of page 55 has a diagram of where the cam sprocket should line up when 1 and 4 are at TDC.

1980 kz750E1, Delkevic exhaust

More
09 Nov 2010 09:18 #411841 by skemp101
Replied by skemp101 on topic cam to crank timing
Thanks for the help I think it is dialed in now, I am almost redy to get it started!!: