Bragging, then asking for a noise diagnosis

More
07 Oct 2010 12:11 #404956 by staniel
I'll get the happy bragging out of the way. I redid the top end on my KZ750L3 and rode it from Seattle to Tijuana (through the Nevada desert) and back up 1 and 101 to Vancouver. It was great. Now I'm back.

The problems that cropped up:

100 miles from departure, my starter crapped out, so I push started it the remaining 3300 miles. I'm gonna take that apart and look at it.

I developed a minor base gasket leak. My cam chain tensioner was also leaking pretty badly and I got the leaks confused. It was bad enough that I had to wash it off because I was getting oil on my tire. I'm using Rotella T 15w-40. I'm going to remove the tensioner and put gasket sealant around it.

I developed a crack in my muffler on the last day. It's about an inch long and I can see through it. Is welding my only option there?

Last, and most concerning, is a strange grumbling noise that happens at low RPM. I was leaking air through my carb mounts, so I sealed them with 1194. Since approximately then this has been happening. It's most severe starting in first gear from a dead stop. I would describe the sound as like hard rubber beads tumbling around in a bag. When the RPM climbs high enough, it seems to go away, though it may only be road noise covering it up.

Any ideas about the sound?

1983 KZ750 L3 with 4-1 Kerker pipe and pods
1983 KZ750 L3 parts bike

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• kz1k
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
07 Oct 2010 12:19 #404960 by kz1k
not sure about the sound, but if you ship your bike to

KZ1K
pothead lane
cloudnine,fl 8675309

i can assure you you will not spend as much having to fix all the issuses.

1978 KZ1000A2

"JUST IN! A MAN WHO HOLDS THE WORLD RECORD FOR USING THE MOST DRUGS DIES TODAY. HE WAS WAS ATTACKED BY A PACK OF WILD DOGS HE THOUGHT HE SAW"

WHY FART AND WASTE IT, WHEN YOU CAN BURP AND TASTE IT?

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
07 Oct 2010 15:02 #405002 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Bragging, then asking for a noise diagnosis
Exhaust leak?

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

More
14 Oct 2010 23:36 #406773 by staniel
Replied by staniel on topic Bragging, then asking for a noise diagnosis
I'm gonna have the exhaust crack welded. I have no idea what the low-rev grumble is, but I'll take it to someone who knows sounds.

Someone warned me that igniters on these bikes go out frequently and once they do, you're close to SOL. Could running on 3.5 cylinders be a symptom of a dying ignition coil?

1983 KZ750 L3 with 4-1 Kerker pipe and pods
1983 KZ750 L3 parts bike