1976 kz900 - crankcase won't split

More
07 Oct 2010 11:52 #404939 by leafsin2012
1976 kz900 - crankcase won't split was created by leafsin2012
First of all, a belated thanks to the members on this site for inspiration on re-building a KZ. Second, I'm asking for input and help, I wasn't able to find a thread that dealt with this exactly.

I've starting dissembling a 1976 KZ900 and all is going pretty well so far... until the crankcase. She's a stubborn one and despite following the manual, I just can't seem to get it separated. I've used the 3 "pry" locations with the proper bolts and can only move the rear. The front is stuck, making me think that maybe reality and the manual (or at least my version of the manual) are out.

The manual says not to touch bolts #12 and #10 since that holds the crankshaft... but it seems like these bolts may be holding the 2 pieces of the crankcase together, since the rear pry location seems to be doing its job.

I've checked and re-checked and I can't see any other bolts that might be the problem.

Any one have any tips or suggestions?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Oct 2010 11:56 #404945 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic 1976 kz900 - crankcase won't split
check kz1ks engine post,we just went through this process in great detail :laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
07 Oct 2010 12:07 #404955 by leafsin2012
Replied by leafsin2012 on topic 1976 kz900 - crankcase won't split
Cheers, thanks. I did look at thread but didn't make it that far in. My duh! Now I know the rest of the story...

• kz1k
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
07 Oct 2010 12:11 #404957 by kz1k
Replied by kz1k on topic 1976 kz900 - crankcase won't split
leafsin2012 wrote:

First of all, a belated thanks to the members on this site for inspiration on re-building a KZ. Second, I'm asking for input and help, I wasn't able to find a thread that dealt with this exactly.

I've starting dissembling a 1976 KZ900 and all is going pretty well so far... until the crankcase. She's a stubborn one and despite following the manual, I just can't seem to get it separated. I've used the 3 "pry" locations with the proper bolts and can only move the rear. The front is stuck, making me think that maybe reality and the manual (or at least my version of the manual) are out.

The manual says not to touch bolts #12 and #10 since that holds the crankshaft... but it seems like these bolts may be holding the 2 pieces of the crankcase together, since the rear pry location seems to be doing its job.

I've checked and re-checked and I can't see any other bolts that might be the problem.

Any one have any tips or suggestions?

where were you yesterday with that diagram....:laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

1978 KZ1000A2

"JUST IN! A MAN WHO HOLDS THE WORLD RECORD FOR USING THE MOST DRUGS DIES TODAY. HE WAS WAS ATTACKED BY A PACK OF WILD DOGS HE THOUGHT HE SAW"

WHY FART AND WASTE IT, WHEN YOU CAN BURP AND TASTE IT?

• kz1k
  • User
  • You Cant Fix Stupid!
More
07 Oct 2010 12:15 #404958 by kz1k
Replied by kz1k on topic 1976 kz900 - crankcase won't split
btw, just when i thought i had all the bolts out i had a hard time with one corner. i put pressure on all three "pressure bolts" and walked away. when i came back out to the garage it was open on all sides. i gave it a a jiggle, and pop, the cases seperated. DONT SMASH YOUR FINGERS.

1978 KZ1000A2

"JUST IN! A MAN WHO HOLDS THE WORLD RECORD FOR USING THE MOST DRUGS DIES TODAY. HE WAS WAS ATTACKED BY A PACK OF WILD DOGS HE THOUGHT HE SAW"

WHY FART AND WASTE IT, WHEN YOU CAN BURP AND TASTE IT?