ThinkigExhaust valve timing

More
04 Oct 2010 22:08 - 04 Oct 2010 22:18 #404112 by nads.com
ThinkigExhaust valve timing was created by nads.com
NOt talked about. I've got cams that are 30 and 70. I've got my exhaust lc at 112. I want to move it to see what effect it will have on the engine. Do I want to retard it? Will it draw in too much, then stay open too long and let it out the exhaust? Will it draw in more charge, and or increase the velocity of the intake charge? Help that way? Can the vac. effect cause wanted turbulence in the chamber? I'm gonna guess and say I think the valve is closing early and shutting off the incoming charge by shutting off the exhaust scavenging. As a result the cylinder is not filling with nearly as much volume it could be. I'm gonna let the charge lean on the exhaust. There's plenty of it! See if I can get it to take in more charge and see what it does to power band. Towmorrow I'm going to cut the seats on my 1000 head and send it to get tested. Got to get that in the mail. If I killed the velocity I'm pretty sure I can rig up some expoxy floor and turn it into a good mixer. :woohoo: Whatever it takes to get some velocity. It'll wake up the charge but the carb is .. well... junk. I liked the 26's responce but the 28's are more powerful. Should melt them both down and make a birdfeeder.
Last edit: 04 Oct 2010 22:18 by nads.com.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Oct 2010 08:43 #404174 by KruZer
Replied by KruZer on topic ThinkigExhaust valve timing
:huh: Is there a web-based translater available for this post?

Buzz

*1977 1000, 1975 KZ998 LSR bike.

More
05 Oct 2010 11:06 #404215 by Rickman
Replied by Rickman on topic ThinkigExhaust valve timing
I like nads.com, he makes me think. But then I like stream-of-consciousness authors like Burroughs.

However nads, I think you missed out on telling us what you're trying to resolve. Moving exhaust cam timing affects overlap, if you have any; I'm not educated enough to state what the results could be against intake velocity and cylinder fill.

don't you need enough duration on the exhaust opening, so you have emptied the cylinder enough before opening intake?

1983 KZ1100-L1 "LTD Shaft"
Wiseco 10.5:1 1171 piston kit, bored by APE
Dyna 2000, Dyna S, Dyna grey coils, WG coil power mod, CB900 starter

• kzz1p
  • User
  • One Test Is Worth A Thousand Expert Opinions!
More
05 Oct 2010 15:12 #404266 by kzz1p
Replied by kzz1p on topic ThinkigExhaust valve timing
:woohoo:
Attachments:

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
05 Oct 2010 15:24 #404271 by hocbj23
Replied by hocbj23 on topic ThinkigExhaust valve timing
Rickman wrote:

I like nads.com, he makes me think. But then I like stream-of-consciousness authors like Burroughs.

However nads, I think you missed out on telling us what you're trying to resolve. Moving exhaust cam timing affects overlap, if you have any; I'm not educated enough to state what the results could be against intake velocity and cylinder fill.

don't you need enough duration on the exhaust opening, so you have emptied the cylinder enough before opening intake?

Yeah,but William Burroughs wrote "Naked Lunch" ,Nads however is just "out to lunch".bj

More
05 Oct 2010 17:50 #404334 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic ThinkigExhaust valve timing
i think his cam his chain is stretched! :laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
07 Oct 2010 16:39 #405030 by KruZer
Replied by KruZer on topic ThinkigExhaust valve timing
I don't think it's his cam chain that's stretched. I really think it's his power band that stretched out of shape. Maybe he needs wash the power band in really hot water and see if it will shrink back into shape.

Buzz

*1977 1000, 1975 KZ998 LSR bike.

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
07 Oct 2010 16:51 - 07 Oct 2010 16:52 #405036 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic ThinkigExhaust valve timing
Just remember...no bloody boxes Nads.... :laugh:

Ben's head is flowing 91CFM at 10" at .400 lift with 89% throats of J intakes and 35mm bowl.... and the runners are smaller than stock J runners.... We'll see if yours will top that....

Smoke 'em if you got 'em.......

:woohoo:
Last edit: 07 Oct 2010 16:52 by larrycavan.