STICKY CLUTCHES????

More
28 Sep 2010 04:34 #402395 by DangerMan
STICKY CLUTCHES???? was created by DangerMan
Whats Up Guys?
Just Bought My 1st KZ1000!!
It was A drag bike project left at a local shop, completly rebuilt, ugraded cams (No Idea What Lift Or Duration) Sounds AWESOME. BIG CARBS ( Maybe like 34mm?? I Have Replace The 145 jets That were in them with 136's,)
Bikes In Great Shape For Only $400!!!

Loudhvx is walking me through a simple wiring system, He's a wiring GOD!!
IM ALMOST THERE,
BUT> The Clutch was SUPER tight, and bike would lurch when I hit the starter while pulling the clutch in..... So I assumed Frozen Clutches..... Well after removing the clutchplate, Began moving the clutches back and forth inside...They didnt appear stuck, so I pulled them out,, they we in great shape but covered in some kinda Very sticky oil.. Maybe Lucas.. or something?
Im going to change the oil today...Just 10-40w GTX, Is that OK?
Has Anyone else had that happen?

Thanks Guys!!
BEST FORUM OUT THERE
Attachments:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Sep 2010 05:35 #402408 by DangerMan
Replied by DangerMan on topic STICKY CLUTCHES????
Oh... And this morning, pulled the plugs, as I had run it some last night and wanted to get an idea how it was burning...... WHAT THE HELL IS THIS!?!?!?
From left to right, just as they came out, Clean, Black, Clean, Black??
Weird....
Attachments:

More
28 Sep 2010 10:25 #402454 by Capt America
Replied by Capt America on topic STICKY CLUTCHES????
I've found most Cowy clutches stick a bit after sitting overnight. I have a kicker so it's never an issue, one kick with clutch lever in and they're free. On my bikes that didn't have a kicker, I just pulled in the clutch and rocked the bike forward or back. It is usually enough to spin them free before start up.

Looks like someone has some carb tweaking to do. B)

Love the bike btw, should make you a nice machine when you're all done. :woohoo:

Capt A merica
1983 K1 750 twin
Ontario, Canada.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
28 Sep 2010 11:36 - 28 Sep 2010 11:37 #402471 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic STICKY CLUTCHES????
Get some compression numbers ASAP.

I prefer Rotella T 5w40 synthetic, but I have run the Catrol 4-stroke 10w40 with no problems. Don't use car oil though, its not designed for bike engine high speeds.

The plugs are a little puzzling... loks like 1 & 3 are not ignighting...

Pull the carbs and go through them. Spraying carb cleaner through every little passageway, and verify visually that the flow is coming through the jet ports and into the carb bore on all 4 carbs evenly. Clean all jets, especially the pilot jets very thoroughly. You should be able to see the clean taper of the hole inside when held up to a light.

make sure to check the float heights, and once assembled, check the fuel levels in the bowls.

make sure there is spark - looks like there should be as if 2 fires, so does 3. If 4 fires, so does 1.

Check the mixture screws to see if someone accidentally seated them completely. They should be at the least 1 turn out from lightly seated.

Good luck.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)
Last edit: 28 Sep 2010 11:37 by TeK9iNe.