• Page:

TOPIC:

Oil Cooler Setup 17 Apr 2006 03:50 #40143

• Max2022
  • Max2022's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hey Everyone,

I'm fairly new, first post. I just got my 81' KZ750 4cyl less then a week ago, and love riding it(Apart from the fact the clutch slips a bit and it could use a bit more power for wheelies :)) I noticed this on a ride up the 15 on Saturday at around 95-110 mph, somthing was burning! Of course this hadn't happened before, this was a fairly cold day, and after inspection I realized my motor had been getting a tad bit hot. So I want to go ahead and put on an oil cooler, because later I will be making trips to Willow, and Pheonix, Las Vegas, and don't want my bike overheating after 40 minutes of riding! How would one go about setting up an oil cooler for an air-cooled bike without one? I was thinking maybe run a line from the bolt on the oil pan, to a mounted oil cooler, to a drilled hole on top of the motor?

Thanks for the help!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Oil Cooler Setup 17 Apr 2006 04:08 #40145

• Nevco48
  • User
  • Thank you received: 3
Hi Maxx,
I guess I can be the first to welcome you to KZR, us East Coast guys get a jump on the rest of the country. Here's what members are going to tell you:
1. Put your bike model and hometown in your signature line, it helps out.
2. Post a picture of your bike, "before" pictures are good.
3. Use the Archives for research; there is a ton of material in here. Try typing "oil cooler" in the search box, and start digging..

Just personally, since I'm turning into an old fart, you should take it easy doing wheelies and going 100+ MPH, specially on a bike that is so new to you. I'm an EMT and I've got a putty knife for picking up guys that drive like that. OK, I'll get down off the soapbox, now. You will like it here, there are some very smart people in here who like to help out the rest of us.:)

Oil Cooler Setup 17 Apr 2006 04:12 #40146

• Max2022
  • User
Thanks Nevan ;) I try to keep it going as easy as possible, espeacily since my forks are soft and my brakes are a bit light. Gonna fix that with a usd front end I hope.

Oil Cooler Setup 17 Apr 2006 10:19 #40205

• 77KZ650
  • User
  • Thank you received: 7
Check out this article in the filebase, I believe the 650 and 750 (fours) are the same when it comes to this type of stuff
click here
Scott

Oh, have a look at this too

Post edited by: 77KZ650, at: 2006/04/17 13:24
07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

Oil Cooler Setup 17 Apr 2006 16:18 #40296

• Willo46
  • User
You might think about checking your carbs and ignition timing, as well as that clutch. Could be it's getting a little hot due to something else out of whack. An oil cooler isn't such a bad idea when running in a warm climate, but you mention it was a fairly cold day. On a cold day I'd be surprised it would overheat.

Good luck and enjoy that old booger.

Oil Cooler Setup 17 Apr 2006 20:13 #40340

• Max2022
  • User
Found out what it was, the exhaust has some gunk on the exterior and it got so hot that it started to burn more then it usualy does. Still want to put on an oil cooler though, riding in 100 degree weather can't be too healthy for my motor.

Oil Cooler Setup 17 Apr 2006 20:13 #40341

• Max2022
  • User
Found out what it was, the exhaust has some gunk on the exterior and it got so hot that it started to burn more then it usualy does. Still want to put on an oil cooler though, riding in 100 degree weather can't be too healthy for my motor.

• Page: