Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

accelerating problems with my 440 LTD 16 Apr 2006 21:52 #40106

• hicdaddy
  • hicdaddy's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Just picked up my second 440 it's an 1982 the first was a hunk of junk, but I'm missing it now.
My new one is mint only 10900 miles. The problem I'm having is a lack of acceleration. It run very smooth but it picks up speed very so and has a tremendous problems climbing passed 5000 RPM's. The top speed is stopping at about 60mph and wont maintain it climbing up hills. The bike came for calf. if it makes a differance.

I' ve cleaned the carbs, check and clean my timing advancer, don't know what to do from this point?:S

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

accelerating problems with my 440 LTD 17 Apr 2006 09:30 #40191

• Tazzmann
  • User
Have you tried syncing the carbs? Checked compression? made sure sprockets are correct?

It's the little things that kill ya!

accelerating problems with my 440 LTD 17 Apr 2006 23:44 #40389

• Max2022
  • User
Could be the pisotn rings. Check the compression, add some oil through the sparkplug hole, fire it up, check compression again.

accelerating problems with my 440 LTD 20 Apr 2006 17:54 #41233

• newbikekiller
  • User
How does the machine idle? How does the air cleaner look?
Do a compression test and let us know the results, it should be fine with that many miles (the 440 is a VERY tough little motor)!

My guess is a bad coil. Check with your manual it ought to tell you how to fix it. I'm not familiar with the rest of the ignition but I would do a complete check on it if its not the coil, including checking timing (and the timing advancer in action).

I have to disagree with Tazzmann on one point: I don't think carb balance matters much at WOT and definately wouldn't cause that kind of problem.

• Page: