cam degreing question

More
19 Sep 2010 17:51 #400120 by lewisj
cam degreing question was created by lewisj
I am attempting to degree my new cams from pit-stop-performance on my new 1075 motor. When finding the true TDC I have followed the directions moving the crankshaft both clockwise and counter clock wise till the piston touches the TDC bolt. I have recorded and added the two numbers on the degree wheel, divided by two to get the TDC reading. My question is this, if that reading is 42 degree's and I want to move the pointer or degree wheel to reflect that reading, which way on the degree wheel am i going, clockwise or counter-clockwise from 0? I should know this but I want to be sure and many of you have done this before.
Thanks in advance, Jim

1973 Z1
1075cc MTC kit
Andrews 3X cams
ZRX 1200 swingarm

Vance&Hines header/ exhaust
29mm smoothbores w/pods
ZR7S 41mm Front Forks with 17" wheels

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Sep 2010 18:29 #400139 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic cam degreing question
Everything you need to know and then some... Step by step instructions...;)

kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_docman&...d&gid=451&Itemid=108

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

• kzz1p
  • User
  • One Test Is Worth A Thousand Expert Opinions!
More
19 Sep 2010 19:10 - 19 Sep 2010 19:11 #400156 by kzz1p
Replied by kzz1p on topic cam degreing question
lewisj wrote:

I am attempting to degree my new cams from pit-stop-performance on my new 1075 motor. When finding the true TDC I have followed the directions moving the crankshaft both clockwise and counter clock wise till the piston touches the TDC bolt. I have recorded and added the two numbers on the degree wheel, divided by two to get the TDC reading. My question is this, if that reading is 42 degree's and I want to move the pointer or degree wheel to reflect that reading, which way on the degree wheel am i going, clockwise or counter-clockwise from 0? I should know this but I want to be sure and many of you have done this before.
Thanks in advance, Jim

Jim if you are using the postive stop method and not just the dail indacator. Rotate the motor until it hits the stop. Set your degree wheel to "0". Rotate the motor the other direction until it hits the stop again, record that number then divide it in half. Then back the motor up to that number. Then set your degree wheel or pointer accordingly.

May I ask?
Witch cam degreeing method, do you plan on using.
Last edit: 19 Sep 2010 19:11 by kzz1p.

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
19 Sep 2010 19:40 - 19 Sep 2010 19:51 #400160 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic cam degreing question
If the cams are those Andrews 3x knock offs, pay careful attention to what you're doing.

They have a lot of overlap lift on 106 centers.

When you have found true TDC, verify it with the stop. You'll get the same stop number in both directions. Then proceed with the rest of the process.

Attachments:
Last edit: 19 Sep 2010 19:51 by larrycavan.

More
19 Sep 2010 19:47 #400161 by irishwill
Replied by irishwill on topic cam degreing question
larrycavan wrote:

If the cams are those Andrews 3x knock offs, pay careful attention to what you're doing.

They have a lot of overlap lift on 106 centers.

thats why your building my motor LarryB)

More
20 Sep 2010 05:15 #400237 by lewisj
Replied by lewisj on topic cam degreing question
LarryC, Can you quickly explain what you mean by alot of overlap lift at 106? Is this bad, good?
Jim

1973 Z1
1075cc MTC kit
Andrews 3X cams
ZRX 1200 swingarm

29mm smoothbores w/pods

More
20 Sep 2010 05:18 #400238 by lewisj
kzz1p,
I am looking at three different set of instructions and trying to figure out which is best. i have the instructions from Pit-Stop-Performance, they are a little vague at points throughout. I have the Web Cams instruction and I have the Cam Degreeing for Zombies. I am just getting eberything set up for the process. Degree wheel, TDC tool,Dial indicator, etc.
Do you have a perferred method?
Jim

1973 Z1
1075cc MTC kit
Andrews 3X cams
ZRX 1200 swingarm

29mm smoothbores w/pods

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
20 Sep 2010 06:57 #400257 by larrycavan
lewisj wrote:

LarryC, Can you quickly explain what you mean by alot of overlap lift at 106? Is this bad, good?
Jim

Jim,

First, look over that cam spec photo I posted.

With a lot of overlap lift [when both valves are open at the same time at TDC] the closer the valves get to tangling with each other and/or the piston.

Low lobe center values on the cams increases overlap lift. That in turn creates less clearance.

With those cams, it's advisable to assemble the head with light springs to degree the cams. You only need valves assembled in one end cylinder to do the job.

By using light springs you can push the valves open with a screw driver to check for clearance problems.

You're probably going to find that the range of least clearance will occur at slightly past TDC on the intake cam [often 5-8 degrees ATDC]

The potential clearance problems are:

a]Intake Cam - It's possible to accelerate the intake valve into the top of the piston.

b]Exhaust Cam - Piston is chasing the valve up the cylinder. Obviously it's important to get the valve out of the piston's way.

To check for clearance problems this works well.

Assemble with light springs [as mentioned above]
Set valve lash to running clearance.
Position Crank at 15* BTDC on Intake Stroke.
Turn the crank in 2 degree increments.
At each point stop and push the valve down with a screwdriver until it touches.
Check the amount of clearance between the lobe and the bucket with feeler guage or use the dial indicator.
Do that process in 2 degree increments moving past TDC until you find the tightest clearance point.
That should be a minimum of .060 valve to piston clearance.

For the exhaust side, generally, 30 - 15* BTDC will be the range of closest valve to piston clearance. On that side it's best to see .080" as the tightest clearance.

If you run into a situation where you don't have enough clearance on 106 centers, you can spread them a couple of degrees to 108. It's either that or machine the valve pockets on the pistons deeper.

Those cams will pull hard for you. They don't leave you a lot of room to play "close enough". Also, I suggest putting a rev limiter on the bike with those cams to be safe.

Pay attention to what you're doing. It's not rocket science but it should't be approached lightly either.

Trickiest parts are finding true TDC and getting your dial indicator to move freely and repeat the numbers. It's a feel thing. You'll get it :)

More
20 Sep 2010 07:11 #400261 by lewisj
LarryC,
Great information, I really appreciate your knowledge and help!
Jim

1973 Z1
1075cc MTC kit
Andrews 3X cams
ZRX 1200 swingarm

29mm smoothbores w/pods

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
20 Sep 2010 16:00 #400406 by larrycavan
lewisj wrote:

LarryC,
Great information, I really appreciate your knowledge and help!
Jim

Jim,

One more thing to look at is the clearance between the boss on the cam where the bolts mount and the head.

I just setup a head today for lobe clearances and the cores were dragging in the cam chain tunnel. Had to grind the boss & the head a little. :)

More
20 Sep 2010 16:44 #400413 by lewisj
LarryC, The more I read the more nervous I get. Fortunately, I have a mechanic here in town that was the Int'l. Drag Bike association 'Mechanic of the Year' in 1994, running z1, KZ and 650's. He is very knowledgeable to say the least. i bought my Andrews 3X's off him. I may let him show me the way arounf thiss thing the first time.
Larry, again I appreciate all you help and knowledge and the fact that you readily share it.
Good riding!
Jim

1973 Z1
1075cc MTC kit
Andrews 3X cams
ZRX 1200 swingarm

29mm smoothbores w/pods

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
20 Sep 2010 22:14 #400487 by larrycavan
lewisj wrote:

LarryC, The more I read the more nervous I get. Fortunately, I have a mechanic here in town that was the Int'l. Drag Bike association 'Mechanic of the Year' in 1994, running z1, KZ and 650's. He is very knowledgeable to say the least. i bought my Andrews 3X's off him. I may let him show me the way arounf thiss thing the first time.
Larry, again I appreciate all you help and knowledge and the fact that you readily share it.
Good riding!
Jim

You're welcome Jim. That's great you got some good help for this. Many guys are not that fortunate :)