Update on the motor that wouldn't kick over

• Cookie1893
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Alex Cook
More
16 Sep 2010 17:02 #399165 by Cookie1893
Some of you may know that I came to this forum for help with the motor not kicking over. I finally brought it into my highschool auto shop and me and a senior took it apart and we found out that the reason it wasn't kicking over was because the pistons were just caked and I mean just caked with carbon. So we cleaned it out and got it turning over perfectly. I was so happy that she does that Now. BUT and there always is a but haha one of the freshman kids were fingering the thing when I was away and dropped a screw down the cam chain opening so it's sitting at the bottom of the crank case and I was wondering how hard it is to split the case. If it's too hard can someone tell me if it's possible to just open up a side of the motor to access the crankcase? I have a long magnet on a wire so all I need it to get on the side of the crankcase. Thanks guys and tomarrow hopefully I will post a video of the pistons moving up and down. Thanks again, Alex

1977 KZ-650 total motor rebuild project

Hopefully after I get the girl running she will fit on the back of a go-cart.... Betcha never saw that one comin!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
16 Sep 2010 17:17 #399170 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Update on the motor that wouldn't kick over
Might reach screw with a telescoping magnet through the cam chain tunnel.

Another option would be remove the oil filter, hoping screw would fall out but it probably won't. So remove oil pan which likely needs a good cleaning anyway, including the oil pump screen.

Screw should be in the oil pan.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

• Cookie1893
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Alex Cook
More
16 Sep 2010 17:22 #399171 by Cookie1893
Replied by Cookie1893 on topic Update on the motor that wouldn't kick over
I did remove the oil pan and filter and everything but it didn't fall out. But it had some of the sludgiest oil ever haha but I did take a little camera with a light on it down there and I couldn't see it that way either. Is it possible to take off the side cover an remove the alternator and get in that way?

1977 KZ-650 total motor rebuild project

Hopefully after I get the girl running she will fit on the back of a go-cart.... Betcha never saw that one comin!

More
16 Sep 2010 17:52 #399190 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic Update on the motor that wouldn't kick over
That nasty sludge is common on old engines.

There really is no way inside the engine from the sides. If you are 100% certain you cannot get the screw from the cam chain tunnel or from the bottom with the pan off (you did turn the engine upside down, didn't you?), then splitting the cases is probably the next step. It isn't really complicated, though you need patience. A factory shop manual would be invaluable for this project.

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
17 Sep 2010 03:23 - 17 Sep 2010 03:30 #399259 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Update on the motor that wouldn't kick over
With pan removed, could look from underneath (using good light and mirror) while gently hand-turning crankshaft with the 17mm nut, hoping to see the screw.

Be careful not to damage cam chain sprocket area on crankshaft, as screw might be lodged in this area.

Screw might possibly fall out, or become visible where lodged somewhere along the crankshaft.

Another option could be to flush the lower end (crankshaft area) with a solvent such as kerosene, mineral spirits or diesel fuel, through the cam chain tunnel, and from underneath, hoping the screw will loosen and fall out. Maybe use a garden sprayer for some pressure-cleaning effect. And perhaps combine this effort with hand-turning the crankshaft.

Good Fortune. :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 17 Sep 2010 03:30 by Patton.