Cylinder head tork and sequence

More
15 Sep 2010 10:37 #398883 by KZG1
Cylinder head tork and sequence was created by KZG1
After noon, i havent been on here in awile, moved from Sill to Hood and during the prcess can not find my manual. Went on a ride this last weekend and noticed oil leaking from the cyclinder head. Is it best to loosen the head bolts an retork to specs, than to just tork to the recommendations in the book? can someone post a picture of the order to tighten for me? thanks. Also im tracking head bolts should be torked in stages, im not sure but i think its half the total tork spec. All help is always appriciated.....Max

80 KZ1000G1
84 GPZ1100
Honda Trail 70

"You can't get paid if you don't go to work"

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
15 Sep 2010 11:00 #398888 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Cylinder head tork and sequence
KZG1 wrote:

After noon, i havent been on here in awile, moved from Sill to Hood and during the prcess can not find my manual. Went on a ride this last weekend and noticed oil leaking from the cyclinder head. Is it best to loosen the head bolts an retork to specs, than to just tork to the recommendations in the book? can someone post a picture of the order to tighten for me? thanks. Also im tracking head bolts should be torked in stages, im not sure but i think its half the total tork spec. All help is always appriciated.....Max

Don't loosen before torquing.

Betcha the leak is from tach drive, valve cover gasket, half moon, or exhaust gasket.

Would clean engine, allow to dry, cover all suspect areas with foot powder spray.

Start engine and allow to idle in well lighted area while closely observing for source of leakage. Readily seen through the powder.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
15 Sep 2010 11:38 #398894 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Cylinder head tork and sequence
When I torqued mine I would do about 50% spec on the first pass, about 75% on the next, and 100% final. On mine that's about 15 Ft-lbs, then 22 ft-lbs, then 30 ft-lbs.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
25 Oct 2010 20:32 - 25 Oct 2010 20:40 #409079 by John T
Replied by John T on topic Cylinder head tork and sequence
bountyhunter wrote:

When I torqued mine I would do about 50% spec on the first pass, about 75% on the next, and 100% final. On mine that's about 15 Ft-lbs, then 22 ft-lbs, then 30 ft-lbs.

:)

True Wisdom Only Comes From Pain.
Last edit: 25 Oct 2010 20:40 by John T.