Fuel light and engine dieing

More
11 Sep 2010 12:20 #397673 by Omaha Rider
Fuel light and engine dieing was created by Omaha Rider
Can someone tell me how the fuel light works? My fuel light will come on randomly as im riding and my motor will bog and then die. If I try to start it agian, it starts right up like normal.

I'm also having what I think is an electrical problem because the bike will just die all of the sudden, no lights, no nothing. Then the instrument lights will turn back on and I can start the bike like normal. Help is greatly appreciated thanks

1978 KZ650 SR D

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Sep 2010 12:21 #397674 by Omaha Rider
Replied by Omaha Rider on topic Fuel light and engine dieing
Also on the petcock. Which side of the turner do I have pointed towards the on position? I have the long side of the turner pointed towards the ON position. Is this right? Because if not, ive been riding on reserve position for months.

1978 KZ650 SR D

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
11 Sep 2010 12:36 #397678 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Fuel light and engine dieing
You should put your bike info in your signature, or each post, there are so many different bikes.
I ride all of the time with my petcock on reserve, doesn't hurt anything. Your dieing out, have you checked the main fuse, the clips that hold it and the wiring there? The battery cable connections? This is where I would start.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
11 Sep 2010 13:23 #397688 by Omaha Rider
Replied by Omaha Rider on topic Fuel light and engine dieing
Oops sorry about that, it's a 1978 kz650 SR D

1978 KZ650 SR D

More
11 Sep 2010 14:45 - 11 Sep 2010 14:55 #397715 by sparkn
Replied by sparkn on topic Fuel light and engine dieing
I wouldn't worry about the fuel light just yet. The sensor has to charge to NOT be lit. If you're losing all of your power like that, then your fuel sensor is probably discharging randomly with whatever is loose on your bike. Key switch and ground seem like a good place to start checking.

BTW, everything is powered from the 20 amp fuse, even the two 10 amp fuses. The ten amp fuses get fed from the ignition switch, which is fed from the 20 amp main fuse. The ignition coils are fed directly off the ignition switch from the 20 amp main. So...the only two things in common are the ignition switch circuit and ground.

That means only "Main" wiring should have to be checked. Clean tight connections at battery. Clean tight connections at the fuse, ground, 6 pin ignition switch connector (or whatever connector, mine's 6 on my '79 D2).

1979 KZ650 SR
Last edit: 11 Sep 2010 14:55 by sparkn.

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
11 Sep 2010 14:46 #397716 by hocbj23
Replied by hocbj23 on topic Fuel light and engine dieing
x2 plus the start button.bj