How to change GPz 750 Engine? lay it down? Help!!!

More
11 Sep 2010 06:38 #397616 by knjhoward98
I am about to start an engine change. I am changing to exact engines out. I have heard that it is possible to lay the bike down, bolt up the new engine and raise the bike back up and attach other components.
I am just one man and have to do it myself so I am looking for the easiest way to do it.

Please help and thank you so much for the help!

knjhoward98
1983 GPz 750 (zx750a) Non Turbo

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
11 Sep 2010 06:49 #397619 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic How to change GPz 750 Engine? lay it down? Help!!!
boy it sure helps to have 2 people case you get somthing in a bind.....imo...even the woman of the house can be the added little third hand or stablelizer if the bike tries moving with the motor ...i always just lift em out from the side with the brackets that remove and the bike standing up...i rest it on the lower rail for a split second and reposition the grip and out it comes...but thats with kz...even though ,i would want someone there to avoid pinching myself...dont ask me how i know this...:)

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife

More
11 Sep 2010 07:22 #397622 by kzr750r1
Same way I have done it but with help from the wife, or one of the boys. Help with that initial lift into the frame is helpful. Placed your helper on the open side (easy side) and you work over/through the frame (hard side).
First get the motor up on a milk crate.
Make sure your stand is in good order and ready for the activity.

Place some large ID split hose around the lower frame tube cradle so it has a place to rest without chipping paint and a floor jack with a correct size 2x4 to help support weight with the oil pan while mounting. It's a huck to lift but not impossible with two involved.

But if you have a bad back none of this will help and you should try to lay the frame on it....

One of these days I may try the lay down method. My back isn't getting any younger. ;)

If you do let us know how it went. :)

KZ750R1 + 1991 ZR750 = KZR750R1
Better to be shot out of a cannon then squeezed through a tube. - HST

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
11 Sep 2010 07:26 #397624 by Motor Head
If you have a Cherry Picker, or a beam overhead in the garage, you could get some of the better quality ratchet straps. Then use 2 and make an X around the motor, then sling it up with the Cherry Picker/ Chain hoist/ Come-along.
"Try to work Smarter than Harder", a Boss told us all one morning at the weekly meeting, wise man, I guess that's why he was the Boss.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
11 Sep 2010 07:56 #397628 by kzr750r1
Was thinking about that as well, block and tackle would be nice too. To keep the motor semi square on it's side you could cut the bottom out of a milk crate and it could be positioned to stay put square. Not sure why I'm on a milk crate kick this morning.

Then use said cherry picker to hoist the frame down till you can bolt the mounts on.

KZ750R1 + 1991 ZR750 = KZR750R1
Better to be shot out of a cannon then squeezed through a tube. - HST

More
11 Sep 2010 12:29 #397676 by knjhoward98
Replied by knjhoward98 on topic How to change GPz 750 Engine? lay it down? Help!!!
Thanks for all the assistance. This is a great site with great people. This is my first Kaw so I am happy to have it and be a member of KZRider.

I just switched heads and everything is working great. Thank you guys so much!