She Is finished

More
04 Sep 2010 15:38 - 06 Sep 2010 18:57 #396098 by kz750ohio
She Is finished was created by kz750ohio
Well after months of slow building because of the heat down here in Texas, I have her running. First I want to thank all the wonderful advise I received in getting the old girl back on her feet. This round my dad and I went through her with a fine tooth comb and I will say glad we did. We found the sleeves, main chain, bearings, rings, clutch plates and springs and many other small parts and gaskets needing replacement.

A little history, I bought the old girl from another guy and she was running pretty good but always had a noise in the bottom end. I think he said he bought her from a guy that picked her up from a storage sale. So you can imagine the work that needed to be done.

My dad and I replaced everything above plus a new set of stock pistons (picked them up real cheap on flea bay), cam chain, rebuilt the head with new springs and valves, new gasket set and seals plus clean and rebuilt the carbs. The previous owner had mikuni 34's on her. I painted the engine with high temp engine black paint while I had her in pieces. She has new oil plus the engine break in additive along with all the other filers and fluids. The only thing I did not get a chance to do was replace the stock exhaust. (wife put a halt on the money but said I could have it for christmas.)The exhaust I like is the MAC 4 into 2. For some reason I love seeing the 2 pipes versus the one on a bike.

I will be posting a few picks later on.

thanks for the help,

Max

1982 kawasaki kz750 with mikuni carbs bs34, stock everything else.
Attachments:
Last edit: 06 Sep 2010 18:57 by kz750ohio.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Sep 2010 15:43 #396100 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic She Is finished
These bikes are like dinosaurs, nothing else like it on the street. Next time your out riding, when you park, notice how quickly a crowd will gather, ignoring the faster sport bikes and going to your bike.

Many former riders will say they had one like your's or their Dad/Uncle/Brother had one.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
04 Sep 2010 22:31 #396215 by fordtruck
Replied by fordtruck on topic She Is finished
MFolks wrote:

These bikes are like dinosaurs, nothing else like it on the street. Next time your out riding, when you park, notice how quickly a crowd will gather, ignoring the faster sport bikes and going to your bike.

Many former riders will say they had one like your's or their Dad/Uncle/Brother had one.

Wow, ain't that the truth! I still can't believe how many riders get off their new, expensive bikes and come over to check out my old KZ. Almost all of them say they had a KZ back in the day and proceed to tell how fast it was. I never get tired of listening to the stories.

'77 KZ1000-MTC 1075 kit. Stage 1 port

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
05 Sep 2010 05:56 #396233 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic She Is finished
fordtruck wrote:

MFolks wrote:

Wow, ain't that the truth! I still can't believe how many riders get off their new, expensive bikes and come over to check out my old KZ. Almost all of them say they had a KZ back in the day and proceed to tell how fast it was. I never get tired of listening to the stories.

Good to hear it's finished :) People tend to admire great styling, no matter how old it is. As these bikes get older, they become even more beautiful to me. Nothing else out there comes close.......

More
06 Sep 2010 19:02 #396634 by kz750ohio
Replied by kz750ohio on topic She Is finished
here the a complete picture. I did discover today on my 20 mile test run that I need to do a little carb tweaking in order to have her perfect. She runs really strong above 2500rpm but sometimes you feel her begging on the low end so I will probably go up a jet size on the pilots but only after I look at the spark plugs and check my carb balancing.

1982 kawasaki kz750 with mikuni carbs bs34, stock everything else.
Attachments:

More
06 Sep 2010 19:33 #396639 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic She Is finished
Pretty bike; I love those pipes!! Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
06 Sep 2010 19:39 #396642 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic She Is finished
Well done! Good to see an old gal brought back to life! :P

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
08 Sep 2010 19:54 #397150 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic She Is finished
It's certainly clean and shiny :)

Nice work

• Ktm181
  • User
  • Man made it, so Man can fix it
More
08 Sep 2010 20:13 #397154 by Ktm181
Replied by Ktm181 on topic She Is finished
Yup, VERY NICE! Congratulations on keeping another piece of history up and running. Mine is going veeeeerrry slowly,mainly due to some annoying health issues, but like you have found all the guys around here are SUPERB with their input on these ol girls.

Cheers,
Kt.:)

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
11 Sep 2010 09:42 #397647 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic She Is finished
Very nice job.
try adjusting the pilot screws before u change the pilots out.B)

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
11 Sep 2010 10:01 #397652 by Capt America
Replied by Capt America on topic She Is finished
Very Nice. I love when someone puts an effort into one of these old girls. Be safe, have a blast.

Capt A merica
1983 K1 750 twin
Ontario, Canada.

• thechief86
  • User
  • tuck in behind me, i'll show ya where to crash!
More
12 Sep 2010 15:58 #398087 by thechief86
Replied by thechief86 on topic She Is finished
kz750ohio wrote:

that is sexy, for sure! that luggage rack is really cool, how does it mount to the bike? i hope to make mine look that nice over the winter, as she already runs and rides good. i've been pulling off one piece at a time and cleaning it, and depending on what it looks like clean i've either been painting them or scrubbing off paint to find shiny chrome! these things take time, for sure! i've already had at least 10 people offer to buy mine for more than what i have in it in the 2 weeks or so that i've had her

1980 kz1000
22k miles(for now)
kerker 4 into 1,
mikuni carbies,
k&n pods,
mag wheels,
drag bars,
shiny paint :D
loud, low, and fast.
possible cafe project.
vin# KZT00B526919