KZ1000 burning oil all the sudden

More
31 Aug 2010 20:22 #395281 by madmatt1
KZ1000 burning oil all the sudden was created by madmatt1
Well, I've put about 3,500 miles on my 1977 KZ1000, done all of the basic maintenance to it, stuck a lot of money into it so far. It has been running good overall, and hasn't let me down yet. Now I have a big problem. At first, it was not consuming any oil that I noticed. Then a riding friend mentioned that there was a brief plume of white smoke when I cracked her open to spank his Harley. Big deal, I thought. I changed the oil at 1500 miles twice, and the oil level was fine. Well it seems like out of nowhere, it got bad. The most noticeable is when you get on the throttle aggresively, and when you downshift/stop quickly. The other day I had to stop quick at a light, and literally had a cloud of smoke catch up with me when I stopped, followed by a brief plume of white smoke as it idled. You can actually smell the oil in the smoke too. I'm just guessing that it went through at least a quart in 500-750 miles. It is fine at low RPM's, idling, etc. and it still runs great and pulls very strong. I've noticed no loss of power. I'm awaiting a friend who has a good compression tester, but in the meantime, I'm freaking out. What are the chances of a 25,000 mile motor needing a bottom end rebuild? Is there any chance of wear in the top end making it this oil hungry?

1977 KZ1000 LTD
1977 KZ1000A

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
31 Aug 2010 22:14 #395306 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic KZ1000 burning oil all the sudden
madmatt1 wrote:

Then a riding friend mentioned that there was a brief plume of white smoke when I cracked her open to spank his Harley.

The most noticeable is when you get on the throttle aggresively, and when you downshift/stop quickly. The other day I had to stop quick at a light, and literally had a cloud of smoke catch up with me when I stopped,

With those symptoms, I would guess rings. Maybe an oil ring stuck or collapsed?

Is the compression good?

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
31 Aug 2010 22:16 #395308 by TerryK
Replied by TerryK on topic KZ1000 burning oil all the sudden
My guess is a failed valve stem seal or a faulty oil control ring.

1977 KZ1000
GSXR swingarm and rear brake
WM6 rear Akront rim
Wiseco 1075c pistons
33 smoothbores
stage 3 Web Cams
Head porting
Dyna S ignition
Lockhart oil cooler
Wiseco header

1980 Z1R drag bike
1200cc
38 Flatslides, .
500' cams
7" slick
Dyan 4000 SP ignition
etc

Ontario, Canada

More
31 Aug 2010 22:32 #395312 by Nelson
Replied by Nelson on topic KZ1000 burning oil all the sudden
yup, what he said...

Restoring and customizing a KZ1000. Click here to read about it.
Plated KTM, DR650, KZ1000, Former MC mechanic (eons ago). 40 yrs. of dirt and street.

More
01 Sep 2010 04:37 #395321 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic KZ1000 burning oil all the sudden
run a compression check, that will give you the best indication of what is going on.
you prob have oil on one or more plugs so a good look at them will also clue you in.

dont recall you sayin how many miles are on the bike and if any engine work had been done to it before

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
01 Sep 2010 09:27 #395382 by madmatt1
Replied by madmatt1 on topic KZ1000 burning oil all the sudden
I'm just waiting for my friend to get a chance to bring his fancy leakdown tester over to my house. I've pulled the plugs, none of them are wet, but they are sooty, as the bike has been running rich. By the way, it has 25,000 miles, and I have no clue if it has ever been rebuilt. My best guess would be no, it hasn't. I know this is just part of having a motorcycle, but I am pretty much beyond frustrated at this point. I love these bikes and always have, but owning this one has been a love/hate relationship if you know what I mean. I just don't know whether or not I want to spend more money to rebuild it, or just throw in the cards and buy something else.

1977 KZ1000 LTD
1977 KZ1000A

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
01 Sep 2010 09:58 - 01 Sep 2010 10:01 #395387 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic KZ1000 burning oil all the sudden
madmatt1 wrote:

I'm just waiting for my friend to get a chance to bring his fancy leakdown tester over to my house. I've pulled the plugs, none of them are wet, but they are sooty, as the bike has been running rich. By the way, it has 25,000 miles, and I have no clue if it has ever been rebuilt. My best guess would be no, it hasn't. I know this is just part of having a motorcycle, but I am pretty much beyond frustrated at this point. I love these bikes and always have, but owning this one has been a love/hate relationship if you know what I mean. I just don't know whether or not I want to spend more money to rebuild it, or just throw in the cards and buy something else.

Throwing in "the carbs" :laugh: , and buying something else will be a whole lotta change for a "most likely", fairly easy to fix problem that wont really cost that much. + You'll just be getting another bike, in other words - another bag of headaches.

Leakdown/compression tester will not show any difference if it is just an oil control ring... sometimes is best to just use a bright light and look through the plug hole/intake/exhaust for damage/wear, or tear it right down.

Takes me about 3-4 hrs to casually rebuild the top end on a KZ, you should be able to do everything as a newb in a weekend (tools permitting). If your a newb... :silly:

GL!

B)

PS! There's lots of short cuts to save $ without cutting quality. Keep askin, we'll let you know ;)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)
Last edit: 01 Sep 2010 10:01 by TeK9iNe.

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
01 Sep 2010 10:52 #395405 by hocbj23
Replied by hocbj23 on topic KZ1000 burning oil all the sudden
If the bike set uo awhile before u rescued it and put it back on the road,chances are the valve seals are dried out and have started leaking.Those are a relatively minor and not very expensive fix.bj

More
01 Sep 2010 12:32 #395422 by madmatt1
I would imagine that I could handle rebuilding the top end, but the 3-4 hours you mentioned is what I'd spend drinking PBR and staring at the project ahead of me :laugh:
I'm pretty comfortable doing just about anything ASIDE from rebuilding an engine. Haven't been down that road yet. I've read that if you check the compression and have cylinder(s) that's low, and then you pour a teaspoon of oil in it and turn it over again and get higher compression, it's the rings. Does this usually work well? I just want to get the best idea of what's going on before I tear into it. I'll be honest, I'm not mentally prepared to dig into the bottom end yet...

1977 KZ1000 LTD
1977 KZ1000A

More
01 Sep 2010 12:47 #395426 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic KZ1000 burning oil all the sudden
after thinking about this for a while, something you might wanna cjeck is the crank case vent, if for somereason it has got plugged up, then it would cause high back pressure, more so under hard riding.
too much pressure can cause it to smoke.

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
02 Sep 2010 09:47 #395611 by madmatt1
I thought about that too, but I didn't check it because I ruled that I NEVER get lucky enough in order for it to be something so simple. Just ask my....yeah, nevermind. :laugh: But seriously, I will check that- thanks.

1977 KZ1000 LTD
1977 KZ1000A

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
02 Sep 2010 12:48 #395639 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic KZ1000 burning oil all the sudden
Yes, if compression is particularily low on a cylinder(s), then puor in a couple teaspoons oil and try again. If compression rises faster and achieves similar compression as good cylinders, then it is ring/bore/piston issues. If the oil makes no difference at all or very little (under 5 psi difference), then the problem is most likely an improperly seating valve.

Good Luck.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)