oil pressure switch for 81 440LTD - where?

More
24 Aug 2010 04:52 #393408 by LP440
I got an 81 440LTD that just started having the pressure switch leak a lot of oil when riding. I tried to get a new one from the dealership and also from Bike Bandit and I was told the part is discontinued. Other than taking the route of getting a used one on EBAY if it shows up....what other choices may I have? Is there another part that would work from a newer year? or possibly an auto part that may work?

Any help on finding a fit or fixing the one I have would be appreciated.

Thanks.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
24 Aug 2010 07:03 - 24 Aug 2010 07:04 #393431 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic oil pressure switch for 81 440LTD - where?
Try calling Z1 Enterprises . Often they can obtain difficult to find parts.

If not, try CyclePartsNation . They have an excellent microfiche.

If it is just around the threads, some permatex #1 gasket sealant will stop that. Slap some on threads, screw it in, wipe off excess, let dry 24hrs.

GL.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)
Last edit: 24 Aug 2010 07:04 by TeK9iNe.

More
24 Aug 2010 07:46 #393447 by LP440
Replied by LP440 on topic oil pressure switch for 81 440LTD - where?
TeK9iNe wrote:

If it is just around the threads, some permatex #1 gasket sealant will stop that. Slap some on threads, screw it in, wipe off excess, let dry 24hrs.

GL.

B)

Unfortunately, it is not at the threads but on top near the terminal post. I was wondering if they are no longer made or if it is something that dealerships don't carry anymore. I'm trying to stay away from the route of a used part for this particular item since I think age has a lot to do with the leak......if I get another used part from an 81-83 I'm betting it will just leak again sometime soon.

Looking at PS for cars, they look similar to this one. And it appears that the operating oil pressure is around 60 psi just like a car......so if I can find one that has the same threads.....I may be able to find an auto part that would work.

Just wondering if anyone else has done that yet.

More
24 Aug 2010 09:47 #393473 by Capt America
Replied by Capt America on topic oil pressure switch for 81 440LTD - where?
Why not just put an oil pressure gauge on. It's easy enough to get the proper brass fitting to screw right into where that switch does and run your gauge off that.

Capt A merica
1983 K1 750 twin
Ontario, Canada.

More
24 Aug 2010 09:56 - 24 Aug 2010 10:03 #393475 by LP440
Capt America wrote:

Why not just put an oil pressure gauge on. It's easy enough to get the proper brass fitting to screw right into where that switch does and run your gauge off that.

not sure if you are pullin my leg there:P ....but I wouldn't have nearly enough room to mount any type of gauge. I looked under advanced auto and looked up a couple of pressure switches for jap cars around the 81 era. Turns out Honda civic 81 has a switch that is very similar. single electrode on top for a single sending term and about the same dimensions......will need to check if the threads work on the KZ side. But they did not have them in the store.

problem I am having is that the store needs a part number to go after in order to help.
Last edit: 24 Aug 2010 10:03 by LP440.

More
24 Aug 2010 11:19 #393486 by Capt America
Replied by Capt America on topic oil pressure switch for 81 440LTD - where?
LP440 wrote:

Capt America wrote:

not sure if you are pullin my leg there:P ....but I wouldn't have nearly enough room to mount any type of gauge. I looked under advanced auto and looked up a couple of pressure switches for jap cars around the 81 era. Turns out Honda civic 81 has a switch that is very similar. single electrode on top for a single sending term and about the same dimensions......will need to check if the threads work on the KZ side. But they did not have them in the store.

problem I am having is that the store needs a part number to go after in order to help.

Why trust the life of your motor to an idiot light?
They sell all kinds of after market oil pressure gauge kits. The gauge doesn't actually mount under the carbs where you'd have to hang sideways off your bike to see your oil pressure.. LOL..
Here this video should give you an idea of what I meant. It's a newer triumph in the video, but uses the same oil feed to the top of motor as your 440, except it has a flex tube instead of a solid one like you have.

Capt A merica
1983 K1 750 twin
Ontario, Canada.

More
24 Aug 2010 12:17 #393496 by LP440
Capt America wrote:
[quote
Why trust the life of your motor to an idiot light?
They sell all kinds of after market oil pressure gauge kits. [/quote]

I guess I am still just trying to do a quick fix instead of take it to the next step and make a little project out of it. I dunno.....a pressure gauge for a little 440 is a little bit much for that size bike..no room for any more gauges on the bars as it is.....and the idiot light worked for 30 years just fine. I am just bummed that a part like that is discontinued and would just like to do a quick fix.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
24 Aug 2010 12:33 #393499 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic oil pressure switch for 81 440LTD - where?
Looks like it should be easy to get a Kawasaki part, did you try your local Dealer, might surprise you.
Otherwise easy to order, from any Kawasaki parts distributor, around $25-30.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
24 Aug 2010 12:39 #393500 by LP440
Motor Head wrote:

Looks like it should be easy to get a Kawasaki part, did you try your local Dealer, might surprise you.
Otherwise easy to order, from any Kawasaki parts distributor, around $25-30.

tried the dealership and BikeBandit - both said the part is discontinued. I have an email in to one of the places suggested earlier in this thread.

otherwise.....the only option is used parts.

• Motor Head
  • User
More
24 Aug 2010 12:43 #393502 by Motor Head
Really, when I did a Google search it did not come up as NLA, but may supersede to a newer #. Does your service manual show a operating pressure for the switch and oil pressure for the system?
The Auto motive stuff I know about will have a 1/8" pipe thread and operate about 5-6 psi. There are others with a metric thread but I don't know which make model to send you to.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.

More
24 Aug 2010 12:50 #393504 by LP440
I know the operating pressure of the oil on the bike is 4kg/cm(2) or 57 psi......I thought that was about the same as cars.....so I was guessing whatever threshhold pressure activates a car switch would also work on the bike.....its a normally closed switch (pressure to open).....so I think if I could find a replacement that would fit into the threads....then the electical part could somehow be made to work.....if its a single electrode....its easy....it just a switch to ground basically.

• Motor Head
  • User
More
24 Aug 2010 12:52 - 24 Aug 2010 13:01 #393506 by Motor Head
But is the low pressure that you need to know, when will the switch ground the wire, 2,3,4,5,6,7,8,9,PSI? This is what is crucial, that it can handle 100psi is really not the first issue.

EDIT: IS 27010-1157 the part # that you came up, as I just called my Dealer and its NLA like you said and no supersede.

Last edit: 24 Aug 2010 13:01 by Motor Head. Reason: edit