Tach Cable Leak

More
23 Aug 2010 14:57 #393268 by bloglos
Tach Cable Leak was created by bloglos
Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, I have a 78 KZ650 C2 with a leak right where the tach cable connects to the engine. Thanks to the some previous posts and help from Z1 Enterprises, I'm going to order the parts to fix this thing. I was just wondering, and please pardon the stupid question as I'm really not mechanically inclined, do I need to drain the oil before I pull off the tach cable?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

78 KZ650 C2 - Runner
77 KZ650 B1 - Project

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
23 Aug 2010 15:00 #393269 by jayw704
Replied by jayw704 on topic Tach Cable Leak
No

1978 KZ1000
Go Loud and go fast or dont go at all!!!

More
23 Aug 2010 15:04 #393272 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Tach Cable Leak
bloglos wrote:

Apologies if this is in the wrong forum, I have a 78 KZ650 C2 with a leak right where the tach cable connects to the engine. Thanks to the some previous posts and help from Z1 Enterprises, I'm going to order the parts to fix this thing. I was just wondering, and please pardon the stupid question as I'm really not mechanically inclined, do I need to drain the oil before I pull off the tach cable?

Any advice would be greatly appreciated.

It's not necessary to drain the oil before dealing with the tach drive.

On large Kaw fours, it's necessary to remove the valve cover to access the tach drive.

It's usually the seal and 0-ring(s) that need replacing.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
23 Aug 2010 15:16 #393276 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic Tach Cable Leak
Where the tach drive is properly installed with good external o-ring (between housing and engine) and good internal seal around geared drive shaft, it should not leak at all, even without the tach cable attached.

With engine running, should just see the slotted end of the shaft spinning around with no oil leakage whatever.

Stopping the leakage by packing the cable attachment cap (with o-ring, gasket, sealant, etc.) actually allows the same leaking oil to go up into the cable instead of seeping out from the cap area, which treats the symptom but isn't the cure. At least that's the situation with the large fours.

Here are a couple of links to some good info about dealing with tach drive:

kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...d=2&id=215073#215685

kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...d=4&id=387077#387088

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
28 Aug 2010 13:52 #394581 by bloglos
Replied by bloglos on topic Tach Cable Leak
Thanks for all the help. Here is one last stupid question. On the oil seal. Does the side with the tiny circular spring face towards the engine or outwards away from the engine. The old seal was so rotten I couldn't make out which way it went.

78 KZ650 C2 - Runner
77 KZ650 B1 - Project

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
28 Aug 2010 13:57 #394583 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Tach Cable Leak
The spring and seal lip face in toward the engine, holding the oil in.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...