Reusing worn starter clutch bolts?

• Kitten Tooth
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
08 Aug 2010 22:19 #389527 by Kitten Tooth
Reusing worn starter clutch bolts? was created by Kitten Tooth
I did the starter clutch job on my 1981 KZ1000LTD about 2 weeks ago with new bolts and locktite because it was loose and making a rattling noise in the motor. I used grade 8 bolts and heavyduty red locktite on them. I tightened the 3 allen key head bolts until i couldn't hold the flywheel anymore while tightening them. I did not torque them like i should have. just yesterday, i started the bike like i always do in the morning for the first time and out of no where, i hear a clank every time a cylinder would fire (the bike was running cold with no choke and idling around 700RPM REALLY LOW). This happened after about two weeks of riding after i did the job the first time. I have an interview tomorrow at a motorcycle repair shop and before the starter clutch began to rattle again, i figured i would take my bike to the shop for the interview. They saw the bike before any work was done and it looked aweful so i figured that i would show them how it was now after i got it running myself and it would be a good example of my work. Fastenal isn't open today on a Sunday so i could not get new bolts. The New ones i used 2 weeks ago are now wore on the threads by the head. Finger tight, i found that the starter clutch wasn't moving at all on the flywheel and there was 0 play in it. So, i decided to use the same bolts in this re-assembly. I used locktite just like before but this time i cleaned all the surfaces really good before applying and i torqued everything down. Right now, im waiting for the locktite to set up overnight and then tomorrow, im gonna go for a spin to that shop. Do you guys think that the bolts are going to work themselves loose again because they are wore a little bit? If so, i have about a week or so before they back themselves out again right?

thanks guys,
KT

1981 Kawasaki KZ1000-K LTD
1983 Suzuki GS300L-D
1982 Suzuki GS300L-Z sold:(
1976 KZ400D3
1973 Z900... I WISH

DO A BARREL ROLL!!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
08 Aug 2010 22:25 #389530 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Reusing worn starter clutch bolts?
I used blue loctite on mine. I think you do have to get everything dead clean (with acetone) for loctite to work. Any oil or grease, and it's a no go.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• Kitten Tooth
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Aug 2010 03:52 #389549 by Kitten Tooth
Replied by Kitten Tooth on topic Reusing worn starter clutch bolts?
I cleaned the hell out of things. I thought the blue stuff was the lower strength. hmmm ill use blue next time if you know that it works for sure.

1983 Suzuki GS300L-D
1976 KZ400D3
1973 Z900... I WISH

DO A BARREL ROLL!!

More
09 Aug 2010 04:49 #389554 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Reusing worn starter clutch bolts?
"I thought the blue stuff was the lower strength."... It is somewhat but not as your thinking in strength.

Blue is designed where if you need to back thread the screw/bolt out, it will break free with some torque... Red is designed as a more permanent lock...

Meaning you may have a hell of a time break that bolt back out due to the red locktite.... :S

Hope it works out for you... And let us know if you got the job at the cycle shop.... B)

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
09 Aug 2010 07:03 #389575 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Reusing worn starter clutch bolts?
the red should have a picture of a harley on the bottle,might have to heat it with a torch to get it back apart :laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• Kitten Tooth
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
09 Aug 2010 07:33 #389578 by Kitten Tooth
Replied by Kitten Tooth on topic Reusing worn starter clutch bolts?
thanks for all the replies guy:) i just ran like 700 pounds of iron down the street in 1st gear and it popped right off:D i don't want to use electric start until like noon so i know for sure the locktite is cured properly. Even the red stuff was no match for my impact wrench:) at least for the crankshaft bolt. The 3 allen head bolts could turn out with your fingers:/

1983 Suzuki GS300L-D
1976 KZ400D3
1973 Z900... I WISH

DO A BARREL ROLL!!