Stock KZ1000 Camshaft technical info

• testarossa
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
09 Aug 2010 19:21 #389764 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Stock KZ1000 Camshaft technical info
Larry don't forget my plans for the future. I want to get to know the old girl for about a year, and then I'll probably be talking to you about some port work, and good street cams. I plan on slapping in a set of 10.25 to 1 1075cc pistons. I just really want to run it for a while with a stock top end since I'm spending so much money on all my other mods at the moment. I'm your ideal customer for a reasonable, torquey, all around street setup. I see the logic in your recommendations.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Aug 2010 22:45 #389798 by nads.com
Replied by nads.com on topic Stock KZ1000 Camshaft technical info
larrycavan wrote:

I don't build engines targeted for only top end performance as was suggested. That's hogwash.

I'm a great advocate of short duration camshafts in combination with a good flowing head, compression and reasonably sized carburetors. I've preached that for several years on here.

You've never seen any post by me telling anybody to put in any cam with more duration that 252@ .050 lift for a street motor.

The cams I use most frequently are:

CM Z1 or Z2 grinds

Web 118 Grinds for 1015 motors with 29's and street heads.

Web 483 grind .395 / 242@ .050. also for small street motors with good head and proper size carburetors.

1135 J motors run 6.18 1/8th mile time after time with compression, 38 Trons and GPz11 cams.

I don't get it why people hang on to the notion that big carbs and big cams are needed for street bikes....just ain't so :kiss:

I assume Larry you you were refering to me with the hogwash statement. I specifically stated the set up you do is for TORQUE. I don't see where my statement could be misconstrued to mean high rpm power is what YOU like. My to the moon statement was in reference to the fact you can set up an engine that's meant to have power in the high range for racing applications whenever needed. And I'd like to clarify to all that read on cam function. Be mindful what you read, there are some articles that state by advancing the intake and retarding the exhaust, the power band moves up in the range. some may assume this because power comes on like a bang then. This is not true and is very confusing to all who read mixed publications on the subject of power band. it's common knowledge that moving centers closer together gives the best overall power band with great throttle response. That said I'm boxing up my head and sending it to you tomorrow, the one from a 78 kz100 that is. :woohoo: I have to cut a 70deg angle on the inside of the seats first. Pm me if you need valves or other parts to go with it.

More
10 May 2016 21:55 #725652 by larslykkegaard
Replied by larslykkegaard on topic Stock KZ1000 Camshaft technical info
At what lift do you set the stock cams?? 0.50"