Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

oil leak 12 Apr 2006 05:49 #38922

• TonyKZ1
  • TonyKZ1's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Hello all, I was working on my bike last night, adjusting the carbs trying to correct the idle problems I've been having the last couple days. Its been running great, though. Plenty of power to go up the hills, etc..
Anyhow, I happen to look under the bike when my wife comes out to see what/how I'm doing, and there is a good sized puddle of oil underneath the front left side of the bike. Its dripping out from the generator cover, quite rapidly I might add.

Well, since there isn't supposed to be oil in the generator, either a seal had gone bad or when I wrecked the bike a few weeks ago it may have cracked something there, hence the leaking. I won't know for sure until I can tear into it friday. Of course today is a beautiful warm sunny day, just perfect for riding and my bike is on the front porch....:(

So is this seal hard to replace, expensive, or is it time for a another bike. Of couse if it is cracked, then I would imagine it would be time for another bike.
Thanks for any help/info/suggestions....
Tony

Post edited by: tonykz1, at: 2006/04/12 08:52
1997 Yamaha Seca II - mostly stock, Oxford Heaterz heated grips, a Scottoiler system. My Mileage Tracker Page

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

oil leak 12 Apr 2006 09:01 #38949

• RomSpaceKnight
  • User
  • Thank you received: 2
Is there not a small passage behind the alternator that allows oil to splash through and lube the starter gear?

oil leak 12 Apr 2006 13:08 #38989

• TonyKZ1
  • TonyKZ1's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
Well, to the people who know more about the 400's than I do, that's probably quite a few, haha! Anyhow, is there supposed to be oil in the generator cover and if so do I just need to use some gasket sealer to seal it up?
Thanks, Tony

ps. according to Kaw parts list there is supposed to be a gasket, pn. 14045-021, there between the cover and the engine case so maybe there is supposed to oil in there?? Enquiring minds and all that...

Post edited by: tonykz1, at: 2006/04/12 16:18
1997 Yamaha Seca II - mostly stock, Oxford Heaterz heated grips, a Scottoiler system. My Mileage Tracker Page

• Page: