Need some help with turbo exhaust

More
07 Aug 2010 17:21 #389058 by Samwell
Need some help with turbo exhaust was created by Samwell
Okay, I have the Mr. Turbo kit installed on my 1978 KZ1000. I need some help with exhaust plumbing. The kit comes with a 2.5" u-bend of mild steel that I can use to make my own 'banana pipe' with. I don't particluarly like the looks of those and its too loud for me.

THere's a few draw through pics on this site but no good close ups for pointers on how to route/plumb the exhaust. I'd like to have it exit the turbo, head downwards then back and use the rear foot peg as a support. I'd also like to fit a small muffler on it so as not to attract too many of the local leo's.

I'm looking for functional first and pretty later; 'cause lets face it, with my fat ass on it, its gonna look ugly! ;)

--
Current Rides: 2013 BMW R1200GSW, 1972 BMW R75/5
Current Project: 1978 KZ1000A2: Supercrank'd by Falicon, APE studs and nuts, Dyna Green coils, powder coated frame and fenders, Stainless brake lines, dual front discs, pods, Kerker Exhaust, 1075cc with JE pistons

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
07 Aug 2010 17:30 #389059 by Jeff.Saunders
Replied by Jeff.Saunders on topic Need some help with turbo exhaust
Here's what the old ATP setup looked like:

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,
Attachments:

More
08 Aug 2010 01:55 #389236 by Samwell
Replied by Samwell on topic Need some help with turbo exhaust
Alright, that helps. Is the pipe 2.5" diameter + the heat shield or did the older kits use a smaller exhaust pipe? Does it block your left leg much?

thanks, again.

--
Current Project: 1978 KZ1000A2: Supercrank'd by Falicon, APE studs and nuts, Dyna Green coils, powder coated frame and fenders, Stainless brake lines, dual front discs, pods, Kerker Exhaust, 1075cc with JE pistons

More
08 Aug 2010 07:19 #389270 by Jeff.Saunders
2.5" out of the turbo increasing to 3" for the rear part.

You don't really notice the pipe (although I'm sure you would if it didn't have the heat shield).

The rear footrest on that side isn't good as the passengers foot easily touches on the pipe. I don't have that issue any more as my wife refuses to go on the back of that bike for some reason...

This email address is being protected from spambots. You need JavaScript enabled to view it.
www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

More
08 Aug 2010 08:04 #389279 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Need some help with turbo exhaust
Jeff.Saunders wrote:

You don't really notice the pipe (although I'm sure you would if it didn't have the heat shield).

The rear footrest on that side isn't good as the passengers foot easily touches on the pipe. I don't have that issue any more as my wife refuses to go on the back of that bike for some reason...

ive got the same problem with my wife on my 1327,the kids think its fun though! :laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
08 Aug 2010 08:07 #389282 by PLUMMEN
Samwell wrote:

Okay, I have the Mr. Turbo kit installed on my 1978 KZ1000. I need some help with exhaust plumbing. The kit comes with a 2.5" u-bend of mild steel that I can use to make my own 'banana pipe' with. I don't particluarly like the looks of those and its too loud for me.

THere's a few draw through pics on this site but no good close ups for pointers on how to route/plumb the exhaust. I'd like to have it exit the turbo, head downwards then back and use the rear foot peg as a support. I'd also like to fit a small muffler on it so as not to attract too many of the local leo's.

I'm looking for functional first and pretty later; 'cause lets face it, with my fat ass on it, its gonna look ugly! ;)

i always thought the compressor/turbo did a good job of muffling things before it gets to the banana pipe,doesnt sound any louder than a 4n1 to me anyway.and that sound excuse me for a minute! :woohoo:

Attachments:

More
08 Aug 2010 09:07 #389306 by Jeff.Saunders
Turbo exhausts are relatively quiet until you get to high RPM...

I agree about the sound, at idle they are no noisier than a baffled 4-1, and even in the id-range the noise isn't much.

www.z1enterprises.com

Z1 Ent on Facebook,

More
08 Aug 2010 09:17 #389310 by PLUMMEN
B) B) B) B) B)

More
08 Aug 2010 14:33 #389371 by Samwell
Replied by Samwell on topic Need some help with turbo exhaust
Jeff.Saunders wrote:

Thanks Jeff. There's a local muffler shop that's handy with bending their own pipe. With your photo as a guide, I should be all set.

--