Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

starter clutch slippage 12 Apr 2006 01:48 #38903

• Barkingshins
  • Barkingshins's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
The starter clutch in my '76 KZ 750 is slipping pretty badly these days. If the engine is pretty warmed up already, the electric start can usually get the job done, but on cold-starts, forget about it. Kick, Kick, VROOM! How much trouble is it to repair the clutch on this bike? Do I need to pull the engine? Is it possible to get a clutch kit for this and, if so, from where? Any help would be much appreciated. Thanks.

-Brian

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

starter clutch slippage 12 Apr 2006 05:49 #38921

• Biquetoast
  • User
  • King Jeremy The Wicked
  • Thank you received: 7
Brian - Welcome, fellow twin owner!

This is a VERY common problem, especially with the 750 twin. Please take a moment to search the "archive" (which can be found under the menu above under Forum --> Archive). The Archive is the old forum we used to use here, and there's lots of great info just sitting there waiting for you.

This topic has been discussed alot, so I'm sure you'll find alot of goodies...

EDIT: Aw hell. To quickly throw a couple answers: Yes, it can be repaired. I don't think the twin needs to have the engine pulled to do it. Repair kits USED to be available, in fact there's a link in the archives to a guy who sells them, but if you try, it'll say "out of stock". It's possible you can do a "quick fix" just by cleaning up the parts, maybe replacing a spring or two. And last and least, eBay is your friend. ;)

Post edited by: biquetoast, at: 2006/04/12 08:51
(1.) '75/'76 KZ400D - Commuter
(2.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(3.) '78 KZ750B3 Twin - Commuter
(4.) '75 KZ400D - Sold
kz750twins.com

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Page: