O-ringed Valve Cover for KZ1000??

• 79MKII
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Love Them Kaws!
More
06 Aug 2010 21:52 #388850 by 79MKII
O-ringed Valve Cover for KZ1000?? was created by 79MKII
I've read that the custom KZ heads like Vortex come with a nice o-ringed valve cover. That would be so cool for valve adjustments. I am SICK of scraping and buying new gaskets every time I need to check my valves (which I do a lot).

Has anyone ever heard of having an o-ringed valve cover on a stock head? Would both mating surfaces need to be machined to accept the o-ring or would a special valve cover seal on the flat surface of the head?

I'd pay to have my head machined if I could. Anyone know of a better set up for the valve cover?

The Kaw List:
Current: 79 KZ1000 A3 MKII, 78 KZ1000 A2, 78 KZ1000 Z1-R, 78 KZ650 SR, 80 KE175
Former: 03 KLX400SR, 99 ZRX1000, 82 KZ750 LTD, 80 KZ1000 A4 MKII, 80 KZ1000 LTD, 78 KZ1000 A2, 74 H-2 750 Triple, 78 KL250

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Aug 2010 22:33 #388854 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic O-ringed Valve Cover for KZ1000??
Not sure how they would work in the four places where the rubber cam plugs go. maybe fitted aluminum plugs that are flush ground and then had a groove milled in for the rubber ring gasket.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
06 Aug 2010 22:45 #388856 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic O-ringed Valve Cover for KZ1000??
What if the valve cover gasket were just made of molded rubber like the newer bikes. On my zx-10r the gasket is re-usable as long as you don't tear it when you remove the cam cover. It is a molded rubber piece that has a lip that overlaps the cam cover and the head. In such a design, the cam plugs could be made integral to the gasket. No special valve cover or fancy machine work necessary.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
07 Aug 2010 05:59 #388878 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic O-ringed Valve Cover for KZ1000??
The gaskets on these covers sure are a pain. mine has been holding up well since i started using Permatex eng silicone(black) on it as well as every other gasket.
i put a thin coat on booth sides , install it, and screw down the cover lightly. then i let it sit overnight to dry, then i tighten the cover bolts.
if u tighten it right away, most of the sealant will squeeze out.
i find that most times i can reuse any gasket over a few times. the silicone will come right off of the motor and gasket.
i only check my valve clearance every 5000 miles, it seems to be enough.B)

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
07 Aug 2010 06:15 #388881 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic O-ringed Valve Cover for KZ1000??
"Permatex eng silicone(black)"... Same here...

There's a couple high heat areas that slightly stick but nothing more then a couple of minutes clean up...

I originally had been using the copper spray and this worked well for leaks but gaskets still slightly stuck where replacements were necessary...

Larry turned me onto the light coating the Permatex black concept... works well....;)

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
07 Aug 2010 07:06 #388890 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic O-ringed Valve Cover for KZ1000??
Old Man Rock wrote:

"Permatex eng silicone(black)"... Same here...

There's a couple high heat areas that slightly stick but nothing more then a couple of minutes clean up...

I originally had been using the copper spray and this worked well for leaks but gaskets still slightly stuck where replacements were necessary...

Larry turned me onto the light coating the Permatex black concept... works well....;)

OMR

boo,hiss! :laugh:

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
07 Aug 2010 07:18 #388891 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic O-ringed Valve Cover for KZ1000??
:laugh: :laugh: :laugh:

Well if it makes you feel any better Plum... I still use new gaskets every time.... Hell for $10, worth no leaky....

Just makes it a tad easier scraping off the material....

Same time, that copper spray is the bomb regarding NO LEAKS.... :kiss: For others, obviously Plumm turned me onto Copper spray.... :laugh:

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az

More
07 Aug 2010 07:23 #388893 by RonKZ650
Replied by RonKZ650 on topic O-ringed Valve Cover for KZ1000??
There's really no need for orings as the gasket won't leak and it never needs changed unless it gets broken or the cam end plugs need replaced.
Here's how I do it. If replacing cam end plugs seal them with Yamabond #4 or Permatex equiv, place your gasket on after putting a little Yamabond on top of the cam end plugs and a little ways beyond out on to the aluminum mating area. Seal all 4 cam end caps on top this way whether replaced or not but never remove the end plugs unless they are to be replaced. That's all the seal you need and bolt on the cover leaving the top of the gasket dry. It will *never* leak. I say never meaning if you have clean surfaces and a valve cover that's not all chewed up.
Next time the cover is removed be careful the gasket all stays on the engine and remove the cover. It comes right off and no need to replace the gasket. It will *never* leak assuming the above is still true. Actually even if I'm careless and do break the gasket I just glue it back together with Yamabond #4 and never have a leak. Too lazy and cheap to replace a gasket. :laugh:

321,000 miles on KZ's that I can remember. Not going to see any more.

More
07 Aug 2010 09:14 - 07 Aug 2010 09:17 #388924 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic O-ringed Valve Cover for KZ1000??
Have always installed valve cover gasket dry onto perfectly clean mating surfaces and had no leak issue, ever. And torque in a cross pattern from inside toward outside.

No adhesive or sealant should be needed. And might be remembering wrong, but don't recall anything in the FSM about installing other than dry.

Would concur with OMR about re-assembling with a brand new gasket.

If ever tempted, might give "Chapstick" a try, as sometimes suggested by Plummen.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Last edit: 07 Aug 2010 09:17 by Patton.

More
07 Aug 2010 10:07 - 07 Aug 2010 10:11 #388937 by luc
Replied by luc on topic O-ringed Valve Cover for KZ1000??
79MKII wrote:

I've read that the custom KZ heads like Vortex come with a nice o-ringed valve cover. That would be so cool for valve adjustments. I am SICK of scraping and buying new gaskets every time I need to check my valves (which I do a lot).

Has anyone ever heard of having an o-ringed valve cover on a stock head? Would both mating surfaces need to be machined to accept the o-ring or would a special valve cover seal on the flat surface of the head?

I'd pay to have my head machined if I could. Anyone know of a better set up for the valve cover?

I had the same issue with my Z1 and thought about doing an o-ring but price of machining and some other technical issue made me go to plan "B" that has worked great from a few years and cover removal.
I bought a sheet of 1/32 thick Viton rubber www.mcmaster.com/#viton-fluoroelastomer-rubber/=8avtiw
and layed it flat on a piece of glass, I then put a good amount a black high-temp RTV on the valve cover and put the cover on top of the Viton sheet.
I then put a 5 gls bucket of water on top of the valve cover to compress the RTV and get an even thickness.
I let it dry for 24 hours and then using a Exacto knive I trimed the Viton and excess RTV to get a perfect gasket.
The last step was to use a drill bit, the same size than the bolts, to drill out all the holes.
This new gasket is completly oil tight,and will last about forever and no more issue with scraping gasket or oil leak
Last edit: 07 Aug 2010 10:11 by luc.

• mark1122
  • User
  • Keep twisting it
More
07 Aug 2010 10:16 #388940 by mark1122
Replied by mark1122 on topic O-ringed Valve Cover for KZ1000??
Great idea luc.B)
the link doesnt work though.:(

76 KZ, frame gusset work,1200CC.Ported by Larry Cavanaugh, 1.5mm.over intakes, Carron Pipe, ZRX12 rear end, and seat,96zx9 front end.
01 CBR600F4i Track bike.
Cobourg, Ont. Can.

~ ~ ~_@
~ ~ _- \,
~ (k) / (z)

More
07 Aug 2010 10:20 - 07 Aug 2010 10:23 #388942 by luc
Replied by luc on topic O-ringed Valve Cover for KZ1000??
www.mcmaster.com/#viton-fluoroelastomer-rubber/=8avxkg

try this one
if not go to mcmaster.com
on the left choose raw material
then rubber
on the left choose Viton and then under shape, sheets bar and stips
Last edit: 07 Aug 2010 10:23 by luc.