Swap bars, drop tach...now losing power

More
06 Aug 2010 12:16 #388691 by toepfer
Hey guys, I'm new to the forum so...Hello!

Picked up my KZ650 yesterday (78 LTD). City streets, freeway (up to 90mph)...ran just fine...seemingly perfect, fast and peppy!

So, today I'm swapping the bars to a clubman...removed the tach and speedo and am subsequently stuck with a huge bundle of wiring to address later. I haven't reattached the wiring to the headlight or other electrics yet.

So I replaced the bar and the ignition switch and killswitch so it would start. Starts right up like yesterday, no smoke, no smell.

Goes through the power band in 1st seems fine. give it a little more in 2nd/3rd, the revs pick up, then the power/speed drops. It will go into all gears fine, pick up in the lower end, but when the RPMs get mid-high, it drops out the acceleration in speed and just revs up without any power.

Any ideas? I rode the thing this morning and it was beautiful, spend an hour in the garage swapping bars, and it becomes a sissy.

Any help would be amazing.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
06 Aug 2010 12:23 #388693 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Swap bars, drop tach...now losing power
welcome, when you changed the bars, did by chance change the clutch cable adj? sounds like you might have and now you are not fully letting the clutch release and it is slipping

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
06 Aug 2010 12:30 #388698 by toepfer
Replied by toepfer on topic Swap bars, drop tach...now losing power
i had thought that, but i don't remember even touching that adjustment. i went to the bike to check, and it's still tight, not loosened.

More
06 Aug 2010 12:50 #388702 by toepfer
Replied by toepfer on topic Swap bars, drop tach...now losing power
you know...i loosened up the clutch cable a bit from where it was, and it definitely got better! kinda strange, but hey if it works it works. hopefully it stays that way.

looks like a new clutch might be in the works soon. i'm just glad

More
06 Aug 2010 15:14 #388744 by KZ250LTD
Replied by KZ250LTD on topic Swap bars, drop tach...now losing power
Tried the push rod adjustment?

79 KZ1000ST
Past:
Many.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
06 Aug 2010 15:17 #388745 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Swap bars, drop tach...now losing power
Also replacing those old clutch springs may do it, and you can check your plates then.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
07 Aug 2010 19:13 - 07 Aug 2010 21:10 #389175 by DFIGPZ
Replied by DFIGPZ on topic Swap bars, drop tach...now losing power
Clutch slipping go back and start over by backing all clutch cable adjusters in. then turn clutch actuator screw in till it just touches then back off 1/2 turn tighten lock nut. now go to adjuster in middle of cable and take up the slack till you get most of but NOT all play out of cable i like to leave my lever somewhat looser than others. this should set you in the right direction and buy the way if you put the low handle bars on is much nicer to install the shorter cables off a Z1R you can get them from jeff at Z1 ENTERPRISES makes for a nicer job and cables work nicer W/O all that binding.

1984 750 Turbo
Last edit: 07 Aug 2010 21:10 by DFIGPZ.