If oil doesn't burn, is it a better lubricant?

More
30 Jul 2010 16:13 #387072 by Galactica
When I got my 900 a coupla years ago I put Castrol MC oil in it because i've had great results in my cars with it for over 30 years. The Castrol burned at steady rate of about 1 lt every 2400 km. Totally acceptable. For the heck of it I put in Canadian tire oil and the usage rate was exactly the same. After reading some threads on here I switched to Shell Rotella T. WELL!! I went on a weekend trip of 400 km and a long trip of almost 5000 km. The oil consumption of the Shell was only about 800 ml for over 5000 km!!!

Now, if you keep up your oil level, just because an oil isn't burning, and as long as it meets the same standards, does that mean it is a better lubricant?

PS. Tony, sorry I didn't call you to say I wouldn't be stopping by. I got homesick..like a horse headed for the barn, and went straight home. I will get up to the Slocan and see you some time.

77KZ1000
76 KZ900

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
30 Jul 2010 18:49 - 30 Jul 2010 18:51 #387112 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic If oil doesn't burn, is it a better lubricant?
I don't think consumption has anything to do with lubriticity. BTW, you might see less consumption cruising at a steady speed compared to composite riding with frequent acceleration. Engines that blow by do it worse as you open the throttle more.

1979 KZ-750 Twin
Last edit: 30 Jul 2010 18:51 by bountyhunter.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.