1977 KZ650B1 clutch problem ... I think

More
29 Jul 2010 10:59 #386794 by lgj069
Good Day, On my way back from the store, shifting from second to third, or third to fourth, can not remember for sure, bike gets stuck in gear. I arrive at home and try too put bike in neutral, while running, no luck. Can not get it out of gear. So I turn the engine off. Put bike on center stand then after about five or six minutes of up and down with the shifter lever I get it out of gear and into neutral. While playing the up and down game with the shifter lever I notice some of the time when the bike is in gear the neutral light is on. And some times when the bike is in neutral the light was not on. I do not know why.
Yes this came on all at once. No slipping or hard shifting
leading up to it getting stuck in gear. Nor did I feel or hear any thing unusual. I have checked and adjusted the clutch cable which did not help. I inspected the release assembly which also seems fine. While inspecting the clutch assembly I found an extra friction plate. You got it, eight friction plates instead of seven. I noticed it right away because it is about one millimeter thicker than the rest of the gang. This prompts more questions other than the obvious why did it get stuck in the first place? I had put at least two hundred fifty miles on the bike before it got stuck. Why did it not affect the shifting or get stuck when I first started riding it? Is there any circumstance that would call for an extra friction plate? Could the clutch and/or friction plates have been replaced with ones that were too thin creating a need for an extra one to make up the space? Should I put the extra one back in when I reassemble the bike? Could or will this cause premature ware on other parts of the clutch assembly? Will this have an affect on the release assembly after I get the clutch reassembled? Will this affect the clutch cable operation and/or adjustment? HEEEELLP!! I am ready too take this F#$@ing bike out behind the barn and put it down. One shot to the HEAD as it were. Any way I obviously need help so any ideas or input will be welcomed and appreciated. Thanx for your time and efforts ... PEACE Larry

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
29 Jul 2010 15:43 #386864 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic 1977 KZ650B1 clutch problem ... I think
Wow. Larry, try the enter key :laugh:

That extra plate probly has nothing to do with the problem, and can be in there for god only knows what reason.

You probaly have a problem in your shift linkage behind the tranmsission linkage cover on the left side (behind the sprocket cover).

Check to make sure that your sprocket cover has the pegs that alighn it correctly with the plate beneath. If its off kilter it can bind against the shift peg and cause real frustration.

GL!

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)

More
29 Jul 2010 18:03 #386904 by lgj069
Replied by lgj069 on topic 1977 KZ650B1 clutch problem ... I think
tek9ine, thanx for the info. I will check that again right now. Im not real computer literate, try the enter key for what? PEACE Larry

• DoubleDub
  • Visitor
29 Jul 2010 19:26 #386919 by DoubleDub
Replied by DoubleDub on topic 1977 KZ650B1 clutch problem ... I think
Breaks in a paragraph make it easier for others to read.

Kinda like this.

More
27 Aug 2010 07:23 #394190 by lgj069
Replied by lgj069 on topic 1977 KZ650B1 clutch problem ... I think
Thanx I agree.