She just wont crank post rebuild... HELP!!!

• cricketfire46
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Jul 2010 18:02 #385749 by cricketfire46
She just wont crank post rebuild... HELP!!! was created by cricketfire46
I bought my '83 H4 from a friend a couple of years ago with about 45k on the odometer. After putting about 12k of my own miles on it, I noticed that some small things needed help. Last year the starter clutch went out. For some reason I attempted and successfully fixed that problem. In the process I managed to break an exhaust stud, which (to keep a long story bearable) began a long process of replacing all of the gaskets.

Now she is all back together but a new problem has come up. Before the gasket job it was running great, when it would crank. Now I cant manage to get her running again. The crank is turning fine, the starter is working fine, I know the compression is good, timing has been set by counting the links and lining them up on the sprockets. everything has been torqued and reassembled to the specs in the klymer manual.

When I try to start it I cant get it to run. I know that it is turning over and getting spark. for some reason it just wont seem to run. almost seems like the carbs arent there. They are and recently had a good cleaning and bench sync. I think I have included all important info about what I have done in here. Please give me ideas so I can get it running again before the end of summer. Any suggestions are better than none.

83 kz750 ltd, dyna coils, k&n, mac 4->1 just rolled 50k

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
25 Jul 2010 18:27 #385754 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic She just wont crank post rebuild... HELP!!!
Does it Pop or back fire? Then you may have swapped the wires for the coils primary side. So then it would have spark but be firing incorrectly. Or if not popping/ backfiring then it sounds like maybe no power to coils or no fuel in carbs? Did you turn petcock to "Prime"? Can you open a bowl drain screw and get fuel flowing?
Otherwise probably back to the engine mechanical like valve timing is in correct.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.