Urgent help needed, '81 kz750e2

• supmonkeyface
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Jul 2010 11:17 #385553 by supmonkeyface
Urgent help needed, '81 kz750e2 was created by supmonkeyface
Hey guys

I just received a ticket for not having my inspection sticker. The reason I haven't got my bike inspected is because they recently passed a law in Maine that makes it so virtually every exhaust but the stock pipe is illegal and cannot be inspected. I have a Vance and Hines pipe that I bought on the bike.

I wasn't speeding, running red lights or anything like that,the local area police and sheriff set up a "checkpoint":huh: outside of Bentley's Saloon in Arundel, where I live, and were stopping all motorcycles and demanding license+registration etc. I of course didn't have my sticker.:(

Thats not what I'm here to talk about though, although the legality and details surrounding this event are sketchy.

I am here to beg for a stock exhaust (headers, pipes and mufflers). I believe it is 4-2. I am certainly not asking for handouts, but I have a limited budget (+/- $150), so if anyone feels like helping out a fellow rider, please do. I think 1980 through 1982 kz750e pipes will fit, but i am unsure.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
25 Jul 2010 15:09 #385624 by hocbj23
Replied by hocbj23 on topic Urgent help needed, '81 kz750e2
Not sure about Maine,but my bike is running an "antique" plate cause its more than 25 years old.No inspection required.Any such law there?bj

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
25 Jul 2010 15:22 #385639 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Urgent help needed, '81 kz750e2
www.mecalm.org/

After reading at this above link it looks as though it applies to all vehicles. I think you should be able to freshly repack your baffle and get it tested. If it passes there noise measurement then it should PASS as far as I can tell. There is even a mention of 1 ticket being thrown out. So don't give up just yet on your V&H system. The law says Muffler required and there is a sound level check.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

• supmonkeyface
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Jul 2010 15:33 - 25 Jul 2010 15:35 #385649 by supmonkeyface
Replied by supmonkeyface on topic Urgent help needed, '81 kz750e2
Actually the guy at the inspection station said that removable baffle systems are not legal, but if what you say is true, the baffle/pipe assembly counts as a muffler. So if I repack it enough to pass the sound test then its ok?

In Maine, if it is registered as an antique it should technically only be driven in-state to shows/events. I considered this but me and my father decided it would be best for me to have a real plate because I often visit new hampshire.

Thanks for the response.
Last edit: 25 Jul 2010 15:35 by supmonkeyface.

• Motor Head
  • User
More
25 Jul 2010 15:38 - 25 Jul 2010 15:46 #385658 by Motor Head
The Inspection Station is only Interpreting the Law, and could be right, but also easily wrong. I suggest getting a hold of something like a government referee Inspection Station and find out the FINE print of the letter of the law. It may be that 1 inspector is going to CYA himself and business to keep from a huge fine.

Looks like you can buy some good stainless packing on Ebay cheap, < $25

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
Last edit: 25 Jul 2010 15:46 by Motor Head. Reason: Add Comment

More
25 Jul 2010 15:57 #385689 by Mcdroid
Replied by Mcdroid on topic Urgent help needed, '81 kz750e2
What you got a ticket for was not having a valid inspection sticker...not running a set of V&H. I will guarantee you that not a single Maine inspection station will know what a stock set of pipes looks like for a 1981 KZ750E2. Repack your muffler.

Michael
Victoria, Texas

1982 GPz750
1977 KZ1000A
1978 KZ1000A
1982 GPz1100
1975 Z2A

• supmonkeyface
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
25 Jul 2010 16:48 #385718 by supmonkeyface
Replied by supmonkeyface on topic Urgent help needed, '81 kz750e2
I actually went to get it inspected but the guy turned me away as soon as he saw heard the exhaust. He gave me a writeup of all the stipulations of the exhaust inspection law, i'll try to find it and post it up here.

You guys think if i tell him the exhaust has been repacked and the sound should be within limits it should be ok? I was thinking that the law was written around noise and emissions standards.

• Motor Head
  • User
More
25 Jul 2010 16:58 #385721 by Motor Head
Like I said, I would go to the Government referee to be sure, but laws that will kill sales of all aftermarket exhaust systems have been on certain states law books over the years. They usually end up being changed as this cuts jobs. If it meets the noise and pollution standards then WTF. Look at the C.A.R.B laws in that west coast state, most of the stuff sold there says "Never to be used on a motor vehicle used on a public Hi-way" or something. Or it has a CARB # and a label that must be attached to show that product meets the States strict standards.