Simple Green + power wash = good engine cleaner?

More
22 Jul 2010 13:17 #384625 by kz.chris
Would it be ok to clean the entire bike like that?

Soak the bike in Simple Green and then pressure wash the piss out of it?

thanks

1977 Kawasaki KZ650

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
22 Jul 2010 13:34 #384628 by 650ed
Keep in mind that there are a variety of rubber seals, etc. on a bike that seal components containing grease and oil. If you hit a rubber seal (or possibly even a gasket)with a pressure washer you may force water into a bad place. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
22 Jul 2010 14:28 #384637 by dblhdr
I use my power washer on my bike all the time. :unsure: Just remember that you have to cover up anything you don't want to get wet. I use baggies to cover up areas I want to keep dry. I also don't use the wand up close to the bike because of the issues discussed above. Remember to lube your chain when you're done. I use an electric home power washer that's not all too powerful but more than enough to get the job done. Heck it isn't much diferent than riding in the pouring rain for a few hours like I had to on my last road trip.:blink: You should also remember that anything you spray on areas that will get hot might etch if you leave a residiue. :ohmy: I also use a compressor to blow the excess water off after I'm done spraying.:dry:

1981 KZ1000 Police Special coverted for civilian use with passenger seat, custom luggage rack, and paint. Daily rider.
2006 Harley Davidson Road King FLHR1

More
22 Jul 2010 15:34 #384652 by kz.chris
Thanks for the tips

1977 Kawasaki KZ650

More
22 Jul 2010 18:34 #384711 by MFolks
Avoid getting any cleaning compounds into electrical connectors as on most Japanese motorcycles they are not sealed.

The soap will corrode the male and female pins, making troubleshooting a real PITA!

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
24 Jul 2010 06:05 #385216 by Polar_Bus
Replied by Polar_Bus on topic Simple Green + power wash = good engine cleaner?
Simple Green is good, but this stuff is awesome :

www.clean-rite.com/

PP has some SERIOUS concentration, so spray it on, let it sit for a few min. then THOUROUGHLY wash it off !

Bikes:
'84 GPz1100
'06 HD Fatboy

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
24 Jul 2010 06:15 - 24 Jul 2010 06:16 #385217 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic Simple Green + power wash = good engine cleaner?
Actually high pressure washing isn't a good idea on motorycles unless it actually needs it.

A good cleaning agent with a garden hose is the better choice when you clean your bike regularly.

Park it in the shade, mist it with simple green and an immediate mist of water. Let it soak for about a minute [do not let the simple green dry on the bike].

Rinse, then bucket wash with car wash soap.

NEVER PUT SIMPLE GREEN ON A HOT ENGINE.

High pressure water gets forced past your wheel bearing seals and starts the corrosion process inside.

I always take the WD40 with a nozzle and spray the wheel seal area after I wash the bike.

WD on an old rag is excellent for cleaning the drive chain as well.

Works for me anyway :)
Last edit: 24 Jul 2010 06:16 by larrycavan.

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
24 Jul 2010 06:19 #385218 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic Simple Green + power wash = good engine cleaner?
Polar_Bus wrote:

www.clean-rite.com/

PP has some SERIOUS concentration, so spray it on, let it sit for a few min. then THOUROUGHLY wash it off !

Purple Power is awesome stuff but you have to be very careful with it on Aluminum. Leave it on too long and it can turn it dark.

I use PP & Water in my parts washer in a 40/60 ratio. PP will eat the carbon our of combustion chambers. Again though, you have to be careful how long you leave stuff in it.

Worst part is not all aluminum behaves the same. Some can be left in the parts washer overnight and some will turn start to turn black after only an hour or so.

Larry C

• Kawickrice
  • User
  • After Monday & Tuesday, even the calendar says WTF
More
24 Jul 2010 08:27 #385240 by Kawickrice
Replied by Kawickrice on topic Simple Green + power wash = good engine cleaner?
I could be wrong but simple green is corrosive to aluminum and will take any and all shine away. I sprayed my whole engine one time and it removed the grease but screwed up my finish on the aluminum. Do a test spot to be sure. Gunk with a toothbrush and a garden hose will work just the same without damage to the finishes.

My .02 cents

73 Kawasaki Z1
07 HD CVO Ultra Classic
82 Suzuki GS 1100
74 Yamaha RD 350 (My two stroke toy)
77 Kawasaki KZ 650B-1 (My putt around bike)
80 Indian Moped (My American Iron)
Long Gone
75 Suzuki GT550
74 GT 380
79 RD 400 Daytona Special
72 Honda CL 175
74 Honda QA 50
Tampa FL

More
12 Aug 2010 07:13 #390318 by Polar_Bus
larrycavan wrote:

Polar_Bus wrote:

www.clean-rite.com/

Purple Power is awesome stuff but you have to be very careful with it on Aluminum. Leave it on too long and it can turn it dark.

I use PP & Water in my parts washer in a 40/60 ratio. PP will eat the carbon our of combustion chambers. Again though, you have to be careful how long you leave stuff in it.

Worst part is not all aluminum behaves the same. Some can be left in the parts washer overnight and some will turn start to turn black after only an hour or so.

Larry C

I actually had a situation on my '87 GSXR's engine where PP actually left behind an odd whitish residue. It wouldn't wash off. I ended up spraying the engine down with WD40, and gave it a good wipedown, and engine looked good as new. I further recommend you "thin" out PP to a 50/50 dillution before spraying it on painted engine cases.

Bikes:
'84 GPz1100
'06 HD Fatboy

More
12 Aug 2010 07:22 - 12 Aug 2010 07:24 #390320 by otakar
I do it all the time but I use ZEP Citrus Degreaser. Which i buy at home depot. It leaves no residue. any place that sells Simple green should sell the ZEP. It is about $10/Gal. But I found out you don't even have to use a pressure washer, just a garden hose will do just fine.

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000
Last edit: 12 Aug 2010 07:24 by otakar.

More
13 Aug 2010 06:13 #390573 by Polar_Bus
otakar wrote:

I do it all the time but I use ZEP Citrus Degreaser. Which i buy at home depot. It leaves no residue. any place that sells Simple green should sell the ZEP. It is about $10/Gal. But I found out you don't even have to use a pressure washer, just a garden hose will do just fine.

And you get a wonderfull aroma of fresh squeezed oranges while you wash ! :laugh:

Bikes:
'84 GPz1100
'06 HD Fatboy