Stripped Oil Plug

More
10 Apr 2006 18:48 #38438 by Shoey949
Stripped Oil Plug was created by Shoey949
I have a partly stripped oil drain plug. I was changing the oil and I put the drain bolt back on and tightened it, (not too much but clearly I was wrong) and then it started loosening a little bit like a stripped bolt does. I tried putting a washer on and that didn't really help the situatioin. Obviosly I have a decently oil leak. Was hoping for some suggestions on solutions. I have the bike all together and am at the last point off tuning(adjusting the carbs) so I was hoping for something simple, but I want to do it right.

Thanks,
Nate

'83 GPz550H2 w/'81 GPz 550D1 engine
Dynojet Stage 3 kit, MAC 4-1, UNI Pods, DYNA coils and plug wires, WG ignition mod

Grand Rapids, MI

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
10 Apr 2006 18:58 #38448 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic Stripped Oil Plug
how about trying to run a tap through there to clean up the threads be carefull not to get shavings in motor,maybe run some oil through to clean anything out of motor after you tap it.;) goodluck,happy wrenching!

More
10 Apr 2006 19:09 #38459 by 77KZ650
Replied by 77KZ650 on topic Stripped Oil Plug
Theres a rubber plug in my motor, its not threaded, just "pops" in. its sort of an egg shape with a big flat bottom so it cant go up into the motor. it was like that when I got the bike, I assumed that the PO just lost the OEM plug and put this one in, and I was thinking about putting in a magnetic plug, but I should check to see if the hole is stripped like yours first:sick: .....
Scott

07 MDP Rookie of the Year
01 ZX-12R street/drag bike. 8.97 @155.7 pump gas, dot tires, no bars, no power adders. top speed in the 1/4: 161MPH

More
10 Apr 2006 19:57 #38484 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Stripped Oil Plug
Mine stripped near the begining of last year. I suspect the shop I had some work done at, as I never had a problem before, but who knows.

What I did was retapped the hole to a slightly larger SAE threaded bolt I found that was close to but a little larger than the stock drain plug. I used a lot of grease on the Tap to hold any shavings, and flushed oil through the engine when I was done tapping.

I did have a slight leak with the oversized bolt, but used some plumbers tape as well to stop that, being careful to keep the plumbers tape away from the tip of the bolt so as to not allow some to brake off and get into the engine.

I have since bought another pan off ebay, but have yet to change it.

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s