Engine help

More
18 Jul 2010 13:17 #383647 by Paddy3652
Engine help was created by Paddy3652
When I got my Kz650 too the engine was completely taken apart except for the cylinder block and the lower end including clutch plates they took everything off top end and were pretty good with putting all parts in containers and labeling I went through containers andlooks like everything is there but thing that worries me is that I read this forum more and more and go back and check things and like they didn't label cam shims or nothing like that. I have had the project for 2 years and now I am wondering if It can be rebuilt or I am actually in possesion of junk.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
18 Jul 2010 13:23 #383649 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Engine help
the shims are done on a valve by valve basis once its torqued down on the motor.the 650 has the shims under the buckets which is a pain the ass to adjust since you have to pull the cams to change the shims :(
are you having the head rebuilt,how about the bottem end?
its kind of a crap shoot putting a motor back together that you dont know the history on without a comeplete tear down B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
18 Jul 2010 13:29 #383651 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Engine help
Cam shims should have a mark on the back side. If in doubt get a micrometer(a machinist's measuring tool) and mark on the shims their thickness with a magic marker.

A cheap vernier caliper from the local Harbor Freight store will work too.

On the 650 and 750 engines, the shims go under the bucket(a shim holder)requiring removal of the cams for proper valve clearance adjustments.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
18 Jul 2010 13:29 #383652 by Paddy3652
Replied by Paddy3652 on topic Engine help
I want to do a complete tear down I want to stay original if I can but if its not an option then its not an option but I want to completely rebuild

More
18 Jul 2010 13:34 #383653 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Engine help
Get yourself a factory shop manual then. I know Chilton,Haynes, and Clymer are out there, but I trust what Kawasaki published.

I buy my manuals from two places:

1. www.repairmanual.com

2. www.manualsnmore.com

And you might luck out and find a factory manual on E-bay

www.kz650.info is another good website.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
18 Jul 2010 18:14 #383706 by Mark Wing
Replied by Mark Wing on topic Engine help
You can rebuild it. You'll have to put the shims in and the cams then measure your clearance and adjust from there.

Mark

Jesus loves you Everyone else thinks your an ***

77 KZ650 C1 with ZX7 forks, GPZ mono rear, wider 18 police wheels and Yoshimura motor.

Yorba Linda Cal.