Welcome, Guest
Username: Password: Remember me

TOPIC:

Fairl heavy smoke on right side 11 Apr 2006 14:16 #38687

• Intimida2or
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I got my fingers crossed for the oily exhaust being the culprit.
If it is mechanical , perhaps the rings just aren't seating...yet?,head gasket issue?, missing valve seal?
I know my buddy kept blowing his head gasket because they pressed the cylinder sleeves to far down on 2-3 cylinders.

You didn't over fill the motor with oil did ya?:ohmy:
:laugh: Just checkin' the too easy stuff!

Another hidden prob i've seen too is a leak by the oil pan onto the lower exahust clamps , the oil traveled into the exhaust on one bike that i worked on!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Fairl heavy smoke on right side 11 Apr 2006 16:49 #38732

• BARNEYHYPHEN
  • BARNEYHYPHEN's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 1
Update.... Just removed the right muffler and fired her up. Result is that the smoke continues but now I know it's #1 that's smoking.

Would I get compression readings in the range I have, if I had inadvertantly broken an oil ring on #1? So I would have middle & top ring doing their job but the oil ring was just floating around in it's land?

Fairl heavy smoke on right side 11 Apr 2006 20:32 #38858

• Intimida2or
  • User
BARNEYHYPHEN wrote:

Update.... Just removed the right muffler and fired her up. Result is that the smoke continues but now I know it's #1 that's smoking.

Would I get compression readings in the range I have, if I had inadvertantly broken an oil ring on #1? So I would have middle & top ring doing their job but the oil ring was just floating around in it's land?

Ahhh and so the clot thickens lol!

Yes the compression readings would be where you're at with a broken oil ring , a compression ring will result in a low reading.
Also you will hear noises in that cylinder if a broken oil ring was the culprit, even a little bit of a noise will be heard.
A stethescope should confirm checking from cylinder to cylinder.
I think an oil ring is not seating for some reason :huh:

Was the smoke still really heavy with out the muffler?

Fairl heavy smoke on right side 12 Apr 2006 07:20 #38936

• BARNEYHYPHEN
  • User
Thanks for the answer. Yes, the smoke was still steady but MAYBE slightly less? What I think I'm going to do this evening is grab me a length of hose and see if I can hear any focused "rattle" from #4 then, I'm going to drop the old 26's back on and see if the smoke persists. If it does persist, even with the 26's, I'm going to pull the header pipes and take a look in the EX port.

I'll try to report back as soon as I know anything. Thanks again everyones help.

Fairl heavy smoke on right side 12 Apr 2006 22:26 #39144

• xr350guy
  • User
you have to relize that a broken oil ring might not take the compression down.....it certainly didn't for me on my dirtbike.........the compression ring is the ring that gives you your compression, the scraper and oil rings might give you a bit, but i doubt it...

Fairl heavy smoke on right side 12 Apr 2006 23:19 #39147

• nads.com
  • User
  • Thank you received: 20
If the pressure hang on at 90 for several cranks it could be a comp. ring. If the plugs are black it is rich and that may mean different needle jets are flowing too much gas with the same main jet size. It will smoke if you have a bad or missing valve seal, and also when a guide comes loose. Usually will foul the plug then. pilot jets must not be lying in the bowl rolling around. lol. Im thinking head.

Post edited by: nads.com, at: 2006/04/13 02:20

Fairl heavy smoke on right side 13 Apr 2006 08:42 #39183

• BARNEYHYPHEN
  • User
UPDATE.... Put the 26's back on last night to see if they produced the same resulting smokey #4 as the "new" 28's.

RESULT..... At first the smoke continued BUT, I took her out, muffler intact on the left (#1 & #2), just headers on the right and, when I got back from about 6 miles of riding, the smoke appears to have all but stopped!

Conclusion, fingers crossed, the initial smoke still comming out of #4 header after fitting the old 26's back on was the residue in header #4 burning off and MAYBE I DON'T have an oil problem after all?

I'm going to start a new thread in "Carburetor".

Fairl heavy smoke on right side 16 Apr 2006 07:38 #39881

• loudhvx
  • KZr Legend
  • Thank you received: 1615
That is definitely good news. I never saw if you mentioned the color of the smoke. Oil smoke has a very noticeable bluish tint. Burning rich gives a black tint.

Fairl heavy smoke on right side 17 Apr 2006 09:16 #40184

• BARNEYHYPHEN
  • User
Must admit, I've always been very hazzy on the blue/white/black smoke issue!

If I had to offer my best guess, I would have said "blueish" and it "hung" in the air, therefore, MUST be oil related? Especially with the "wet" residue at the end of the right muffler.

Took the bike out last night for about 75 miles at upto 5,000 RPM. Still have the old 26's on. Smoke certainly APPEARS to be just about gone, and no longer see any "wet" residue at the pipe end.

Very black at the end of both left & right mufflers.

Fairl heavy smoke on right side 25 Apr 2006 06:52 #42466

• BARNEYHYPHEN
  • User
Problem solved.

Last night pulled the head back off, fully expecting to have to pull the block back off, to locate the broken ring I knew I had. But, what I found was a very suspect head gasket.

When I did the hone and new pistons a month or so ago, I had the choice of two different head gaskets. One was the gasket that came in the gasket kit from Jeff (Z1) and the other was the gasket that came woth the new pistons (BK pistons from Australia). I mistakenly decided to use the one that came with the pistons. MISTAKE.

The one I used had small "O" rings inserted in the gasket, inside the two outside stud holes that house the oil feeds to the top of the engine. the one Jeff supplied has small "cinch" rings, similar to those around the cylinder holes in the gasket.

Bottom line is that the little "O" rings have leaked very badly. The front left has leaked to the outside, resulting in oil running down the fins and the front right has leaked to the inside, delivering a fine supply of oil to Pot # 4! SMOKE FROM # 4 solved.
Attachments:

Fairl heavy smoke on right side 25 Apr 2006 07:14 #42473

• patmann
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
GREAT NEWS !! Sort of.. Glad you found it. And can fix it at no extra cost as you already have the head gasket from Jeff.
Now get it back on the road;)
Pat
1974 900 Z1 modified to look like a LTD , some engine mods. But I still have all the original parts.
1977 1000 project bike
1972 H1 project bike
If pro is opposite of con, then what is the opposite of progress?

Fairl heavy smoke on right side 25 Apr 2006 07:43 #42488

• BARNEYHYPHEN
  • User
Patmann, hoping to be back on the road by the weekend. Want to check everything out as it goes back on.