Username: Password: Remember me
  • Page:

TOPIC:

Another engine paint question 09 Apr 2006 23:33 #38237

• Sputnic81
  • Sputnic81's Avatar Topic Author
  • User
  • Thank you received: 0
I could not find anything about this in the archives, but it is probably there.

When painting the engine does one have to tear it down? Can anyone think of any reason that I would not be able to just mask the exhaust ports and other openings and paint it assembled?

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

Another engine paint question 10 Apr 2006 05:10 #38250

• donthekawguy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 8
Thats how I did mine. I even sandblasted it with header still on. LOTSA duct tape!
Rathdrum Idaho
1971 Kawasaki g3ss
1972 Yamaha R5 350
1965 Suzuki Hillbilly
1964 Yamaha 125

Another engine paint question 10 Apr 2006 10:50 #38296

• Intimida2or
  • User
Yes i paint my engines in frame too for the simple reason that you will damage the nice paint to some degree when installing the motor no matter how careful you are.
I usually hose the motor off with brake parts cleaner , then degrease and wash it completely clean .
Also use only the best high heat paint available. I use VHT engine enamel cause it always gives me awesome results!!!
Can you believe i painted this motor on my bike back in 2000 and never needed a re-paintB)

Another engine paint question 10 Apr 2006 10:53 #38298

• Intimida2or
  • User
I took the exhaust off to get complete coverage, and i used almost 2 full cans of VHT!
Intimida2or wrote:

Yes i paint my engines in frame too for the simple reason that you will damage the nice paint to some degree when installing the motor no matter how careful you are.
I usually hose the motor off with brake parts cleaner , then degrease and wash it completely clean .
Also use only the best high heat paint available. I use VHT engine enamel cause it always gives me awesome results!!!
Can you believe i painted this motor on my bike back in 2000 and never needed a re-paintB)

Post edited by: intimida2or, at: 2006/04/10 14:09

Post edited by: intimida2or, at: 2006/04/10 14:11
Attachments:

Another engine paint question 10 Apr 2006 11:00 #38299

• Intimida2or
  • User
geez having technical difficulties with my pix , i'll figure it out one way or another! LOL

Post edited by: intimida2or, at: 2006/04/10 14:03

Post edited by: intimida2or, at: 2006/04/10 14:06
Attachments:

Another engine paint question 10 Apr 2006 11:08 #38300

• Intimida2or
  • User
Intimida2or wrote:

geez having technical difficulties with my pix , i'll figure it out one way or another! LOL

Post edited by: intimida2or, at: 2006/04/10 14:03<br><br>Post edited by: intimida2or, at: 2006/04/10 14:06

Attachments:

Another engine paint question 14 Apr 2006 08:02 #39474

• mikeo
  • User
Some great "engine paint" threads, all good advice:)
but all seem to refer to black engine casings:(
I have a spectre with the gold ones, now very faded, peeling and corroded :( :(
So have got some nearly the same colour VHT paint, ready to paint in frame, ready to sand, clean and break knuckles, now for the dumb bit:unsure:
Do you take out the engine casing bolts before painting or leave 'em in:whistle: (first time I've done it)
worried about the clutch cover leaking, coming off, gaskets being covered in paint. Am in england with a USA model so am cautious about getting various spares if I need them. (and a bit unsure of tearing down the engine too much)
Any help of advice greatly received.:)

Another engine paint question 14 Apr 2006 10:24 #39493

• kawtoy
  • User
  • Thank you received: 6
I would take all the cases and bolts out. If you have to take something apart somedaya and it is all painted on it will be harder to get off and it will also mess up the paint when you do it. Good luck.
Harley Davidson- Turning gas into noise without the harmful affects of horsepower for over 100 years.

Another engine paint question 14 Apr 2006 11:13 #39510

• kzbikeman
  • User
Pul off anything I can and repaint then is my technique. (My wife does the painting, she is better at it). I have a bead blaster and run bolts through it to clean both the threads and the head. If it is small enough and needs extra cleaning the blaster works great on covers. Anything with a seal needs extra parts and protection from the scouring affect. I have found the surface then works great to accept the paint. I would like to see someone's work on a Spectre. They were poor finishes new. I can remember seeing a brand new Spectre with peeling finishes on the show room floor.

• Page: