Exhaust performance vs price

More
12 Jul 2010 22:37 #382183 by nads.com
Exhaust performance vs price was created by nads.com
I just made a baffle for a kerker pipe for a 1015cc. It sounds awesome and is quiet. I think it will not perform so well on the highway as my old extended 2to one pipes. If it doesn't, then whats all the hype over four into ones? The price for these pipes is ridiculous. Pipes that cost more than some whole bikes do. I guess I'll see how the scavenging performs. Or not. Has anyone dynoed vance and kerker and actually saw the difference in power out? I just don't believe there is a difference that one can feel. They are almost the same pipe! The buck stops here! I'm no longer sold on all the catch paragraphs under the listings. Seems just about everyone is sold out to propaganda. 600 dollars for a pipe? Are u kidding me? For why! I could probly put my old pipes on someones modded bike and it would make more power then these so called performance pipes. Can't help but notice a vance pro pipe is just one BIG pipe with nothing fancy. Just wide open and oh yyyeah, FOR RACE ONLY. whOO hOOO! I call blllsht. If my grandpa was alive I'd ask him "Grandpa? Does everyone lie? Or am I just the stoopidest blankedy blank on earth?:blink:n :huh:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
12 Jul 2010 22:52 #382195 by otakar
Replied by otakar on topic Exhaust performance vs price
The MAC pipes are quite affordable and give very good performance. We did quite a big thread on them a few months back. Here is the link.
kzrider.com/index.php?option=com_kunena&...ew&catid=2&id=364179

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000

More
12 Jul 2010 23:05 #382196 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic Exhaust performance vs price
I was told when I bought my pipe years ago that on the quarter mile the vance pipes were better than the kerkers. I have a comp baffle and it sounds really nice. Kerker has a nice 600 dollar rumble but both sound really good IMHO I still think vance is the way to go. Maybe kerkers have better plating? They are all made crappy these days any way.
I have an old Daytona pipe and the baffle was huge. I liked that sound quite a lot but I dunno it was a 4-2-1. Strange looking pipe but on the street?
I think that if you get anything it will work fine as long as it is tuned/jetted/timed properly. There will be differences but on the street most people won't even worry about the nth degree. If you are asking then I assume that to be the case.

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200

More
13 Jul 2010 03:26 - 13 Jul 2010 05:02 #382211 by Old Man Rock
Replied by Old Man Rock on topic Exhaust performance vs price
Well one way to confirm Nads...

Dyno your build (1015) with each pipe... This way you'll know if "bullshit" or not on the manufacturer claims of increased horse power...

On a different note regarding your home built baffle...
Notice any performance differences?
Stay with same size baffle openings?
Notice back pressure differences, popping, acceleration lags, flat spots in response etc... ?

Straight or twisted baffle design?

Have any images of the baffle you made?
Seriously, interested in how you did it or what you came up with in design but truly interested in noticed performance differences...

We all need to keep in mind there's also the science of exhaust system calculations (more then just a baffle) that are incorporated into each design such as pipe dimensions, riser lengths, collectors, exhaust lengths and sizing for tuned power bands.

All of which increase performance/HP in any bike.... Sure, there's a whole slew of other variables (pistons, compressions, head work, carbs, gearing etc...) no doubt...

OMR

1976 KZ900-A4
MTC 1075cc.
Camshafts: Kawi GPZ-1100 .375 lift
Head: P&P via Larry Cavanaugh
ZX636 suspension
MIKUNI, RS-34'S...
Kerker 4-1, 1.5" comp baffle.
Dyna-S E.I.
Earls 10 row Oil Cooler
Acewell 2802 Series Speedo/Tach
Innovate LC1 Wideband 02 AFR meter

Phoenix, Az
Last edit: 13 Jul 2010 05:02 by Old Man Rock.

More
13 Jul 2010 05:38 #382219 by dshelly
Replied by dshelly on topic Exhaust performance vs price
If you want a 4-1 pipe. Keep watching ebay ,I bought a kerker in good shape with no baffle for $75. Ordered a new baffle for $99 and it sounds great. The key to ebay is being persistant. Sooner or later you will find a deal .

'77 Kz1000B1
'78 Kz1000A2
'76 Kz900LTD

• trianglelaguna
  • User
  • New and improved - extra strength
More
13 Jul 2010 08:55 - 13 Jul 2010 08:59 #382259 by trianglelaguna
Replied by trianglelaguna on topic Exhaust performance vs price
well put and soooooooooooooo true...i aint buying no new stinking badges no more brotha...used in good shape for a good price is my bag...
if a person has a special project, then 600.00 is nothing....but for a good---wait???---great
!!!! used -condition- header...one only has to be patient and watch auctions....

hey if you like your old pipes then good for you...not everyone eats the same ice cream....thats why they make 31 flavors....

and as far as which header is better...depends who you ask....and how you ride,and where you ride,and what you ride,and what the mods are

is superman able to beat up wonder woman if batmans not there and auqua man helps the loser????....

dshelly wrote:

If you want a 4-1 pipe. Keep watching ebay ,I bought a kerker in good shape with no baffle for $75. Ordered a new baffle for $99 and it sounds great. The key to ebay is being persistant. Sooner or later you will find a deal .

1976 KZ900
2003 ZX12R
2007 FZ1000
2004 ninja 250R for wife
Last edit: 13 Jul 2010 08:59 by trianglelaguna.

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
13 Jul 2010 10:58 #382273 by hocbj23
Replied by hocbj23 on topic Exhaust performance vs price
Running a NEW Vance Sidewinder that i offered 250 for on fleabay and the guy took it.Deals abound if ur patient.It has a full street baffle,very quiet and mellow sound.With the baffle out it is unbearable to be around unless ur racing amd have ur earplugs in.Does it help performance?Beats me,my bike never had another exhaust so what i got is what I have.My guess is that it scavenges a bit better than stock,but until u dyno with and without u will not know for sure.bj

More
13 Jul 2010 12:51 - 13 Jul 2010 13:23 #382311 by mjg15
Replied by mjg15 on topic Exhaust performance vs price
nads.com wrote:

I just made a baffle for a kerker pipe for a 1015cc. It sounds awesome and is quiet. I think it will not perform so well on the highway as my old extended 2to one pipes. If it doesn't, then whats all the hype over four into ones? The price for these pipes is ridiculous. Pipes that cost more than some whole bikes do. I guess I'll see how the scavenging performs. Or not. Has anyone dynoed vance and kerker and actually saw the difference in power out? I just don't believe there is a difference that one can feel. They are almost the same pipe! The buck stops here! I'm no longer sold on all the catch paragraphs under the listings. Seems just about everyone is sold out to propaganda. 600 dollars for a pipe? Are u kidding me? For why! I could probly put my old pipes on someones modded bike and it would make more power then these so called performance pipes. Can't help but notice a vance pro pipe is just one BIG pipe with nothing fancy. Just wide open and oh yyyeah, FOR RACE ONLY. whOO hOOO! I call blllsht. If my grandpa was alive I'd ask him "Grandpa? Does everyone lie? Or am I just the stoopidest blankedy blank on earth?:blink:n :huh:

Why do you "think" it won't perform as well as your old pipe ?

Most likely there won't be any difference that you can feel...other than the 20+ lbs that were saved.

I'm not sure people are looking for, or expect, a $600 increase in performance when they buy a Kerker, it is more likely that what they are looking to purchase is a period correct piece of nostalgia. For some, that alone is worth $600....for others it isn't

Everybody here is looking for something different from their 30 year old motorcycle ownership/riding experience. To each his own.

'80 Z750fx
'81 KZ550A
'81 GPz550's, Too many!
'82 KZ1000R
'82 GPz750
'90 ZR550

Project photo album: s163.photobucket.com/albums/t289/mg15_ph...GPz-ZR550%20project/
s163.photobucket.com/albums/t289/mg15_ph...current=DSC01286.jpg
Last edit: 13 Jul 2010 13:23 by mjg15.

More
13 Jul 2010 16:02 #382357 by lobstermobster
Replied by lobstermobster on topic Exhaust performance vs price
Not really on topic (sorry) but it seems like they make or there are more exhaust items out there for the bigger kz's. When ever I search for my 650 there doesn't seem to be too much out there. Except for those million dollar pipes that I'm def not going to buy. Is there a sidewinder for the 650? I seem them alot for hondas but never kz's

1981 kz650 w/ flux capacitor

More
14 Jul 2010 22:48 #382781 by saxjonz
Replied by saxjonz on topic Exhaust performance vs price
20 pounds less? That equals almost three ponies. I think a difference right there just from the weight savings alone. 25 or 6 to 4 Unless you tune the bike right none of those things makes much of a difference and if you do you will notice a difference. Vance and Kerker. I don't believe it will even be noticeable but sound oh yeah I think so to us anyway. My friend was just commenting on our bikes the other day we were riding. He didn't hear any difference in our bikes. Mine has a vance and Louies has a kerker. I noticed the deeper rumble from his pipe but the guy on the triumph didn't notice any at all. So who knows?
Do it your way man. It's your bike. You could even put a car baffle in it from a honda if you like. Or mate half a d and d pipe to another exhaust like I have seen a few do on here.

79 LTD B3
80 LTD B4 1075 kit JE Pistons .410 cam grind, Bassani, 31 keihin CR Specials...
1980 Z1R, 2002 ZRX1200, 2003 ZRX1200