Need to get my block bored for wiseco pistons. anything to know/watch out for?

More
09 Apr 2006 19:50 #38177 by Trav
Hey, I got my pistons, and as soon as I pull the cylinder block out of the decarb tank, I'm gonna try to find a local place to get it bored over.

The wiseco instructions are very generic, to fit all their kits I'm sure. I was just wondering if there is anything particularly I need to pay attention to or have done, or make sure somebody doesn't do..

Thanks guys

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
09 Apr 2006 20:00 #38184 by wireman
find a good machinist that works on motorcycles and do what he tells ya so there is no warranty issues down the road.:whistle: goodluck,happy wrenching!

More
09 Apr 2006 20:03 #38188 by KZJohn
A good machine shop should know what to do. They should measure each piston and bore a cyl to match that piston. Some shops will measure the pistons and bore all of the cyl's to match the largest piston. That may work but is not the most ideal situation. If they do match the bores to the pistons make sure they mark the location of each one.

More
09 Apr 2006 21:36 #38220 by Sandy
Make sure You check(measure)for proper ring end gap.You should have a sheet in the Wiseco box that tells You what You should be looking for,as far as gap.B)

1977 KZ1000 A-1

More
10 Apr 2006 16:23 #38382 by APE Jay
Yes the Wiseco instructions are very generic.
I assume this is a 550< We set those up at .001 / .0015" Wiseco says .002", but thay say that for everything. The high silicone 4032 alloy forging will work at oem clearances.

Jay

• Duck
  • User
  • e vica na i sau na ga
More
10 Apr 2006 17:18 #38406 by Duck
Seen some "high silicone" dagmars recently but not pistons...
Hey Jay, do you have some general numbers for clearance.
Maybe a chart with alloy and form type in one column and clearance in the other?

More
10 Apr 2006 17:26 #38409 by APE Jay
Duck wrote:

Seen some "high silicone" dagmars recently but not pistons...
Hey Jay, do you have some general numbers for clearance.
Maybe a chart with alloy and form type in one column and clearance in the other?

Actually no. I have been doing this so long that I can pretty much tell by looking at the forging and what it's intended use will be and go from there.

Jay