Cam Cap damage

• stonemaster
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
11 Jul 2010 15:33 #381735 by stonemaster
Cam Cap damage was created by stonemaster
the inside of #1 cam cap has damage, one side had sheared some metal off, rode it 40 miles and didnt notice anything peculiar, just found out when adjusting valves, appears the raised U shaped portion of shaft between bushings hit the inside of the cap shaving off some metal, i found the metal. How screwed am I? repair procedures ? do i have do it immediately or can i wait till next year when i put the big bore kit in ?? dont have pics my cameras broke.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
11 Jul 2010 15:41 #381738 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Cam Cap damage
what did your filter look like? id pull the caps off and look at the bearings,also see if you can tell what caused the cam to ride over.
do you have one of those aftermarket tensioners everybody seems to like to tighten with an impact wrench to quiet things down? :(

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• stonemaster
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
11 Jul 2010 15:48 #381741 by stonemaster
Replied by stonemaster on topic Cam Cap damage
the shaft was not reinstalled correctly, thats what caused it, I had someone helping me and didnt notice at the time the mistake. it shaved a small sliver off, it was laying inside the section between the bucket areas so nothing got into anything, my ? is since nothing else was damaged and it ran fine for 40 miles is it imperative to repair now and HTF do you repair something like that anyway

moral of the story, watch out for "Friends" who say they know a little wrenching

More
11 Jul 2010 15:51 #381744 by PLUMMEN
id say to pull the filter and check rest of cam bearings since valve cover is easy to get at,if everything checks out ride the wheels off of it till the rebuild B)

• stonemaster
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
11 Jul 2010 15:56 #381748 by stonemaster
already done and thanx alot, i take back almost everything I've said to irritate you:blush: :woohoo:

More
11 Jul 2010 15:58 #381750 by PLUMMEN
stonemaster wrote:

already done and thanx alot, i take back almost everything I've said to irritate you:blush: :woohoo:

as long as its only almost everything,we need entertainment ya know! :woohoo:
did it tide over far enough for cam chain to rub ?

• stonemaster
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
11 Jul 2010 16:09 - 11 Jul 2010 16:11 #381755 by stonemaster
no it didnt, the dumbass helping me admitted the shaft was a little off, to the side the shaved, he thought it would straighten itself out, well it did, myh fault really for not double checking behind (I was getting the next set o parts, really in a hurry to ride ya'll know what i mean), my guess is he sliver shaved of in the first minute or two, it was in three pieces looked like a large stripped thread , I think i lucked out this time.
Last edit: 11 Jul 2010 16:11 by stonemaster.

• stonemaster
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
12 Jul 2010 19:37 #382117 by stonemaster
well here's what happened, on both camshafts the are guides which fit into channels on the 1 & 3 cam caps, and keep the shafts from moving side to side. When re assembling, the cap was resting one the edge of the guide. Instead of tightening the left cap first which aligns the shaft, my "Friend" tightened the right one first, which held the shaft in the incorrect position. then when the left #1 cap was tightened it gradually shaved the edge of the cap guide channels OFF. luckily no other damage occurred but with this damage the cam shaft could move out of position, so the cap is now at the machine shop. Its cool when you get an extra pair of hands to help but be sure what those hands are doing... Thanx for the responses, ESPECIALLY Plummerdude LOL

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
12 Jul 2010 20:11 #382121 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic Cam Cap damage
stonemaster wrote:

well here's what happened, on both camshafts the are guides which fit into channels on the 1 & 3 cam caps, and keep the shafts from moving side to side. When re assembling, the cap was resting one the edge of the guide. Instead of tightening the left cap first which aligns the shaft, my "Friend" tightened the right one first, which held the shaft in the incorrect position. then when the left #1 cap was tightened it gradually shaved the edge of the cap guide channels OFF. luckily no other damage occurred but with this damage the cam shaft could move out of position, so the cap is now at the machine shop. Its cool when you get an extra pair of hands to help but be sure what those hands are doing... Thanx for the responses, ESPECIALLY Plummerdude LOL

It's actually easier on the cam bolt threads if the caps are tightened down the way your friend did them..BUT you have to watch that the cam is in the correct position laterally. I do them that way all the time.

• stonemaster
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
12 Jul 2010 20:29 #382129 by stonemaster
yea the first time we did em no problem ...what can ya say ...

• stonemaster
  • Topic Author
  • Visitor
16 Jul 2010 14:03 #383156 by stonemaster
the local machine shop did me right again.; my boy Shawn had to make special attachment to do it but jus like new, and for $75... well out to the shop and get this bitch runnin:)