X-Pipe?

More
31 Dec 2006 06:16 #102594 by Bluemeanie
Replied by Bluemeanie on topic X-Pipe?
Being an old hotrodder from way back when, we used crossover pipes on our cars. The pipe would be the same diameter as the exhaust pipes and was placed just past the collectors. It would balance out the exhaust pulses and with the large diameter pipe would "fool" the engine into thinking it had open exhaust. Would boost low RPM torque without losing top end, and as a side benefit it would actually lower the exhaust note a bit. Not sure if any of this applys to bikes?? The new systems on bikes now (mostly crotch rockets)use a 4-2-1 which basically gives good bottom end without loosing much top end. Personally... I think a well designed 4-1 is the best way to go :)

Post edited by: Bluemeanie, at: 2006/12/31 09:21

1980 KZ650F1, Bought new out the door for $2,162.98!

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• wireman
  • Visitor
26 Feb 2007 21:15 #115711 by wireman
Replied by wireman on topic X-Pipe?
Bluemeanie wrote:

Being an old hotrodder from way back when, we used crossover pipes on our cars. The pipe would be the same diameter as the exhaust pipes and was placed just past the collectors. It would balance out the exhaust pulses and with the large diameter pipe would "fool" the engine into thinking it had open exhaust. Would boost low RPM torque without losing top end, and as a side benefit it would actually lower the exhaust note a bit. Not sure if any of this applys to bikes?? The new systems on bikes now (mostly crotch rockets)use a 4-2-1 which basically gives good bottom end without loosing much top end. Personally... I think a well designed 4-1 is the best way to go :)<br><br>Post edited by: Bluemeanie, at: 2006/12/31 09:21

anybody else remember tri-y headers?lots of engineering goes into that stuff,ya just gotta be smart enough to look at the big picture instead of just what the pro stock racers are running.like i always say bottem end and midrange is where most bikes spend their time,not 10,000rpms:whistle:

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.