X-Pipe?

More
09 Apr 2006 14:55 #38061 by Lord Zarkon
X-Pipe? was created by Lord Zarkon
I've seen Monty advertise his X-pipes on E-Bay, but has anyone used one? My worry is that they look short, like they would cook my feet as I ride.So, if anyone has a set on their ride, could you please post it so I could see how they set on the bike. I am seriously considering getting a set for my 84 GPz750, but I want to be sure I can tolerate them, y'know? If they work as well as he says, I'll get some.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
09 Apr 2006 15:12 #38068 by steell
Replied by steell on topic X-Pipe?
I thought you were supposed to install mufflers on the ends of those pipes :D

I want to see a dyno comparison before I'll say whether or not they are any better than a 4 into 1.

KD9JUR

More
09 Apr 2006 15:17 #38071 by Lord Zarkon
Replied by Lord Zarkon on topic X-Pipe?
His pics show it flaring out into a megaphone shape, so I doan thin so.
TM/LZ

More
09 Apr 2006 19:37 #38173 by Intimida2or
Replied by Intimida2or on topic X-Pipe?
I bought and x-pipe on the fleaBay , had it on my Honda for a year .
I sold it last month!
It is looud as hell even with the baffles installed , it scrapes the tailpipes in full leans unless your bike is way up off the ground, and it is highly restrictive with the baffles installed :whistle:
Not to mention the overall construction is rough and no to X-pipes are the same!

Don't get the pipe wrong , i think it is a good racing pipe with no baffles and it makes great torque over a 4-into-1
But for a daily rider the if the high pitched exhaust noise don't get to you then yanking the pipe off for every oil change will:whistle:

I have had it on my bike when i dynoed it and the HP curve and #s are close to an open vance & hines megaphone 4-into-1 but the x-pipe dips 3-4 hp in the midrange and about 5hp at the top end .

I guess it is up to the buyer to decide in the end!
Good luck!!!

Post edited by: intimida2or, at: 2006/04/09 22:38
Attachments:

More
09 Apr 2006 19:39 #38174 by Intimida2or
Replied by Intimida2or on topic X-Pipe?
Intimida2or wrote:

I bought and x-pipe on the fleaBay , had it on my Honda for a year .
I sold it last month!
It is looud as hell even with the baffles installed , it scrapes the tailpipes in full leans unless your bike is way up off the ground, and it is highly restrictive with the baffles installed :whistle:
Not to mention the overall construction is rough and no to X-pipes are the same!

Don't get the pipe wrong , i think it is a good racing pipe with no baffles and it makes great torque over a 4-into-1
But for a daily rider the if the high pitched exhaust noise don't get to you then yanking the pipe off for every oil change will:whistle:

I have had it on my bike when i dynoed it and the HP curve and #s are close to an open vance & hines megaphone 4-into-1 but the x-pipe dips 3-4 hp in the midrange and about 5hp at the top end .

I guess it is up to the buyer to decide in the end!
Good luck!!!<br><br>Post edited by: intimida2or, at: 2006/04/09 22:38

Attachments:

More
30 Dec 2006 08:04 #102476 by pumps
Replied by pumps on topic X-Pipe?
I'm giving topic this a bump as I would like to hear more opinions about this x-pipe thing.And comments on their page about scavenging.If it's accurate or bs.You can write anything on a webpage. Doesn't make it true.

X Pipe Site

Scavenging

Post edited by: pumps, at: 2006/12/30 11:16

Post edited by: pumps, at: 2006/12/30 11:17

Check out our site. kcvjmc.org
1977 Yamaha XS650
2000 Kaw W650
2 KZ440 LTDs , a 79 KZ400H and an 83 Belt Drive

• z1kzonly
  • User
  • Sustaining Member
More
30 Dec 2006 08:34 #102480 by z1kzonly
Replied by z1kzonly on topic X-Pipe?
I know nothing about these new X pipes.
All I know is I gave my "Murray Exhaust" X crossover pipe away in the late 80's. It was black, it crossed under the bike, came back past the rear pegs. Was made for drag racing. Had a nice growl to it. Totally different than the 4 into 1 megaphone, kerker style. I only paid $149 new.

Wish I had it today.

Livin in "CheektaVegas, NY
Went thru 25 of these in 40 yrs.
I SOLD OUT! THE KAW BARN IS EMPTY.
More room for The Old Girl, Harley 75 FLH Electra Glide,
Old faithful! Points ign. Bendix Orig. carb.
Starts everytime!

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
30 Dec 2006 09:22 #102487 by Pterosaur
Replied by Pterosaur on topic X-Pipe?
pumps wrote:

I'm giving topic this a bump as I would like to hear more opinions about this x-pipe thing.And comments on their page about scavenging.If it's accurate or bs.You can write anything on a webpage. Doesn't make it true.

Frankly, a cursory read of the site reveals the most blithering, technobabble and bafflegab I've seen since the last time my remote went on the blink and I got stuck watching one of those Star Bleech retreads.

"Aye, Cap'n! Th' baffles! They canna' take anymore!! Th' phase varience o' th' exhaust pulses is o'erscavenging th' warped combustion chambers!!!"

Yadda, yadda, yadda.

Two words: TUNED EXHAUST.

You can write a PhD thesis on those two words, but the short of it is that there's only so many ways you can bend a hunk of pipe such that it will efficiently handle all the parameters. And it will only do *so much* good. Period.

Rather than tune a collector to handle four input signals, it'd be a LOT easier to just stick with a 4 into 4 setup, each pipe tuned to each cylinder.

A bit of evidence for that is to take a gander at them big 'ole WWII-era radials and inlines. In the late 30's, a lot of brain power went into big collector rings on radials and manifold setups on inlines, and by early on in WWII, the collector rings and manifolds were replaced by individual stacks - but they didn't give a hoot about things like the EPA and noise ordinences...

;)

More
30 Dec 2006 14:53 - 22 Feb 2013 11:54 #102520 by JMKZHI
Last edit: 22 Feb 2013 11:54 by JMKZHI.

• Pterosaur
  • Visitor
30 Dec 2006 15:52 #102526 by Pterosaur
Replied by Pterosaur on topic X-Pipe?
JMKZHI wrote:

Well, Kawasaki does use a crossover pipe on the stock KZ exhaust, and some of the newer exhaust systems have crossover connectors higher up on the header pipes closer to the engine exhaust ports. The stock ones I've seen have the connectors between the 1-4 & 2-3 header pipes; muzzy sells a set for a ZR7 that has the connectors between 1-2 & 3-4.

Triumph twins had 'em back in the 60's.

Whether a crossover is useful or not is dependent on the size of the exhaust and distance from the engine the crossover pipe is located. A crossover is not required if the exhaust is "tuned" to the engine.

A tuned system doesn't need a crossover pipe because the length and diameter of the exhaust is specifically designed to work with the engine at a specified RPM Range to avoid "reversion" and scavenging.

In some instances, a crossover pipe will decrease backpressure and allow for a higher flow. If a crossover pipe is too close to the engine, it allows the pulse timing of the opposing cylinders exhaust cycles to crash into each other – the pressure from a right cylinder will still be present in the left pipe when the left cylinder opens to vent. Too far a placement can create "pulse vacuum" - diminished pressure on the opposing cylinder and a decrease in torque - called scavenging.

A well designed and placed crossover will allow a balance of pressures across the system and increase torque at lower RPM.

Another reason crossovers got popular is because they absorb pulse energy, they tend to make a mellow-er sound sound than unbalanced pipes.

More
30 Dec 2006 15:57 #102527 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic X-Pipe?
murray x-pipe on this 1261.

got to agree with wireman. oil changes are a pain in the a$$. but they sound great wide open.

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.
Attachments:

More
30 Dec 2006 20:19 #102562 by Hatman
Replied by Hatman on topic X-Pipe?
pumps wrote:

Posting the results from a simple back-to-back dyno test between a standard 4-1 exhaust and the X-pipe would certainly go a long way towards verifying some of the claims on the website. With about 5,000 dynos available and dyno time less than $100/hour, I find the lack of any sort of verifiable data fairly damning . . . :huh: