Shifter(?) oil leak

More
05 Jul 2010 19:08 #380475 by Val Ravenn
Shifter(?) oil leak was created by Val Ravenn
I'm new to owning/maintaining a bike. I have a 1980 KZ750t ltd. that has a pretty bad leak so I wiped down the bike to try and isolate it and it seems to be coming from around the shifter pedal shaft, but I'm not sure. Is there anything in that area that's known to commonly leak on the z750 or should I get some new seals and see if that works? I looked around and found some seals that sound like they are suited for that purpose, but I'm not sure exactly what part number I should get.
Also, there seems to be a gash or crack in the case to the right of the shifter pedal. I'm not sure if that's previous damage or what.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
05 Jul 2010 19:25 #380481 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic Shifter(?) oil leak
Remove the sprocket cover,foot shifter pedal, and possibly the left foot peg assembly.

If your bike has a oil leak, you'll see it by the shifter shaft. The bigger 4's have a grommet the alternator output wires go through, and this sometimes leaks, requiring replacing the grommet and doing a little wiring repair.

With the sprocket cover off, check the wiring and chain lube build up on the clutch rod. It will wipe off with paint thinner or acetone.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

More
07 Jul 2010 20:46 #380949 by Val Ravenn
Replied by Val Ravenn on topic Shifter(?) oil leak
Thanks for the help. I'm going to try this as soon as I can run the bike to my friends garage. I looked through how to take off the shifter pedal and sprocket cover and the shaft oil seal seems to be right where my leak is coming from, so hopefully that's all that's wrong.