KZ200, pops, misses, all RPMs

• ElSombreroNegro
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Half the wheels, Twice the pleasure..
More
04 Jul 2010 10:29 #380158 by ElSombreroNegro
KZ200, pops, misses, all RPMs was created by ElSombreroNegro
I recently bought a 78 KZ200, and it had been sitting for many years, has only four thousand on the clock, one thousand are mine. It popped and hesitated for awhile, but settled down after sea foam and marvel mystery oil. The air filter has been discontinued so i put on a cone filter from k&n. It sounded like a moped, so I bobbed the pipe just aft of the rear footpeg. It seemed to be more powerful after that, but 150 miles into it, now it is popping and missing again at all rpm's. I am thinking it has something to do with carb tunning on account of the airflow changes, but I can't rule out spark, or fuel delivery on account of I haven't checked them well yet. Or valve adjustment, for that matter..

I what order would y'all suggest the troubleshooting be done in? Anything I might be missing?

It is a manual petcock, and it is hard to really hard to turn, but sometimes it turns easy... Weird. I did adjust the idle and air screws, to no avail. Also, the rubber manifold has seen better days...

(Mostly) 1976 KZ750 Twin in a (Mostly) 1978 KZ200 frame (dont ask me what I was thinking)

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
04 Jul 2010 13:42 #380200 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic KZ200, pops, misses, all RPMs
Welcome, Senor Black Hat,

If the intake manifold is cracked and leaking, replace it with a new one.

Check valve clearances. Adjust as needed to factory shop manual specs.

Inspect ignition parts. If the points are badly pitted, replace them. If they look ok, file and adjust to factory shop manual specs. If the park plug wire and boot looks cracked or feels very stiff, replace it. If the spark plug electrode looks worn or fouled, replace it. If the spark plug look sok, adjust the gap per factory shop manual.

Remove, clean and inspect the petcock, it should turn easily all the time. Be very careful cleaning its filter screen, it is delicate. Carefully flush the tank and inspect for rust. If it looks ok, reinstall these parts with a brand new inline fuel filter.

If you intend to keep the low restriction air filter and straight pipe exhaust, some re-jetting will be in order AFTER the carb is carefully cleaned inside and out. If you don't want to mess with this, put the factory pieces back on and proceed to adjust the carb per the factory shop manual procedures after a careful and complete cleaning.

I'm sure that whatever I have forgotten to include will be popping up shortly from somebody with a better memory than I.

Do you have a pic of the bike to post? We are pic addicts around here. :laugh:

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

• ElSombreroNegro
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Jul 2010 15:36 #380219 by ElSombreroNegro
Replied by ElSombreroNegro on topic KZ200, pops, misses, all RPMs
Any idea where to find gasket sets and jets for the carb? Also, when going to open pipes, does the motor generally need to be leaned, or enriched?

(Mostly) 1976 KZ750 Twin in a (Mostly) 1978 KZ200 frame (dont ask me what I was thinking)
Attachments:

• ElSombreroNegro
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Jul 2010 15:46 #380224 by ElSombreroNegro
Hope the pics pops up..

• Becker
  • User
  • The Doctor Will Rise Again
More
04 Jul 2010 16:45 #380235 by Becker
Replied by Becker on topic KZ200, pops, misses, all RPMs
When you increase airflow you need to increase fuel flow, In other words go richer. as long as you have it apart to change jets you might as well give it a thorough cleaning. I would check the valve clearance, points adj, and other easy maintenance items too. But since all youve done betweem it running good and not running good I'd have to blame the jetting.

78 KZ750B3
79 KZ400 LTD
78 KZ650C2
79 KZ650C3
78 KZ650B2A
80 KZ650F1
80 KZ650E1
81 CB750K Super Sport

• ElSombreroNegro
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Jul 2010 16:55 #380237 by ElSombreroNegro
trying to get the pic up again..

Attachments:

More
04 Jul 2010 17:09 #380240 by MFolks
Replied by MFolks on topic KZ200, pops, misses, all RPMs
Nice bike, looks to be in good shape.

1982 GPZ1100 B2
General Dynamics/Convair 1983-1993
GLCM BGM-109 Tomahawk, AGM-129A Advanced Cruise Missile (ACM)

• ElSombreroNegro
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
04 Jul 2010 18:11 #380254 by ElSombreroNegro
Thanks, it is in Very good shape, and I am really enjoying this little bike. It could use more power, but it does 60mph with no problems (until it started the popping and missing, at least) and is my daily to work. You might notice I moved the rear turn signals to clear the bags, but I think they look nice in their new home. I had forgot to mention I also swapped the 40t rear for a 37t from a kz250, not a huge difference, but worth it.

• ElSombreroNegro
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
15 Jul 2010 07:07 #382814 by ElSombreroNegro
so i spent all day last monday goofing around with this thing, did the points and condenser, plug, tested the coil, gapped the rocker arms, cleaned out the gas tank, cleaned out the petcock, cleaned out the fuel bowl, replaced the fuel hose and added a clear inline filter. still ran goofy. cranked every time, no problem, just still missed, so i borrowed a timing light and checked that too. turns out it was a loose cam chain all along. it was loose enough to retarded the timing just enough to loose power and miss. it is a manualy adjusted model. i should has guessed it was something like that, my chevy truck did that to me a couple years back..... anyhow, runs like a top now!

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
15 Jul 2010 07:41 #382822 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic KZ200, pops, misses, all RPMs
Get yourself the origional FSM kawasaki Service Manual for your bike, and you will never regret it.

Aside from having every possible spec you could ever ask, it has many shortcut and procedures lists for maintenence and repair operations.

and it will save you a bundle of $$$ ;)

GL.

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)