Clutch waaaay to tight.

More
30 Jun 2010 12:39 #379240 by ajharper1
Clutch waaaay to tight. was created by ajharper1
I am restoring a 77 kz650 and I am wondering if there is a way to reduce the pressure needed to pull in the clutch? I have small hands and the clutch is so tight that after about 10 min of riding my hands start to cramp up just from pulling in and letting out the clutch. Would simply changing cable make that better or would I need to do some fancy work to the clutch plates?

Other than that the bike won't make electricity. I have changed the rectifier unit and crimped the connectors to the starter solenoid (they were loose and kept coming out) The electric start isn't working so my thought is that it is the starter solenoid, though that might just be wishful thinking as I don't want it to be the alternator :).

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• hocbj23
  • Visitor
30 Jun 2010 12:51 #379241 by hocbj23
Replied by hocbj23 on topic Clutch waaaay to tight.
Re clutch.Make sure the cable is lubricated well.Take the cable loose from the lever,run some light machine oil or similar product (not WD40) down into the cable housing.Reattach and be sure the cable is adjusted properly--should have only about 3mm of slack at the clutch lever.Might try a longer clutch lever if u can find one.I have same issue u do and I am going to try and modify a set of ZX6 adjustable levers for my bike.I will keep u posted if they work out.Good luck.BJ

More
30 Jun 2010 12:53 #379242 by ajharper1
Replied by ajharper1 on topic Clutch waaaay to tight.
thanks so much, i'll try that asap.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
30 Jun 2010 16:45 #379298 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Clutch waaaay to tight.
I would pull the side/ sprocket cover off and grease the clutch release pivot mechanism, where the cable is attached, the lever will pull out from the cover, small ball bearings wear this moves should be lubed. Then start with a push rod adjustment before finalizing with a lever slack adjustment. Push rod adjust ment is under the smaller cover with 2 screws, it has a lock nut and flat blade screw for the adjustment. Turn it till it makes contact and then back it off a 1/4 turn and tighten the lock nut.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
01 Jul 2010 10:06 #379456 by sramsey216
Replied by sramsey216 on topic Clutch waaaay to tight.
I would also check the clutch springs if the other suggestions haven't helped. I have heavy duty springs that make pulling the clutch a little more challenging.

The springs can get worn or also old clutch plates tend to become stuck together.

1980 KZ1000 LTD