Starter troubles

More
28 Jun 2010 05:02 #378703 by Bigheath410
Starter troubles was created by Bigheath410
Hey all,

I recently installed a new starter from a parts bike I picked up, and my 82 KZ440 LTD chain drive has begun to make a disturbing noise. According to the Kawasaki website, the 81 440 LTD belt drive that is my parts bike uses the same model starter as mine, so Im assuming they are compatible. Basically, the starter turns over now but it sounds normal for a few seconds then it makes a grinding, scraping noise then returns to normal for a few seconds then it comes back again. This is all just turning the starter over with the gas petcock set to off. I thought the problem might have been the sprocket for the starter chain was loosening up and causing the chain to hit the housing somehow, but I addressed that and it continues to happen. Also, the noise appears to be coming from the starter cover if that is of any help.

This is beyond my and my coworkers expertise. (I work in a auto shop, but the guys I work with have some experience with bikes).

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

82 KZ440 LTD

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
28 Jun 2010 11:25 #378755 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Starter troubles
Might be the starter clutch.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

• TeK9iNe
  • User
  • What did you do!?!
More
28 Jun 2010 16:09 #378808 by TeK9iNe
Replied by TeK9iNe on topic Starter troubles
Pull that starter clutch apart and look for worn out sprockets and rollers/springs.

GL!

B)

Motorcycle Shop Owner/Operator

79 Kawie Z1000 LTD
81 Kawie Z1000 CSR
83 Honda VT750C A
85 Kawie GPZ900 A2
86 Zukie GS1150 EG
93 Yamie XV1100 E
Lucky to have rolled many old bikes through my doors ;)