Shifting without clutch?

More
26 Jun 2010 00:30 - 26 Jun 2010 01:22 #378249 by Omaha Rider
Shifting without clutch? was created by Omaha Rider
Hi guys, i'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I just recently picked up a 1978 KZ 650 which so far has been amazing. About 20 minutes ago I was riding along and snapped my clutch cable. I rode home in 2nd gear(I think) at 3 1/2 - 4 grand going 25 mph. My question is when I got home, I was able to shift into 1st and neutral thank god. How was I able to do this without a clutch? Was this bad for the transmission?

Thanks

1978 KZ650 SR D
Last edit: 26 Jun 2010 01:22 by Omaha Rider.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
26 Jun 2010 01:52 #378252 by turboguzzi
Replied by turboguzzi on topic Shifting without clutch?
clutchless UP-shifting is perfectly doable, actually that's how i shift most of the time. Shifting down without clutching is trickier, some boxes will just refuse to.

You could obviously have shut down your motor with the kill switch when you got home instead, but unless you made some horrible crunch noises when going down to 1st/neutral, your box should still be fine.

Check your oil for metal debris if you are really worried

TG

More
26 Jun 2010 06:12 - 26 Jun 2010 06:14 #378263 by otakar
Replied by otakar on topic Shifting without clutch?
Most of us, or at least many of us have been doing it for years. As was mentioned, up-shifting is easy, down-shifting MAY be a bit harder. If you throttle up a tiny bit when you down shift than it makes it simpler. Same as throttling down a bit when you up-shift. These are all synchro-mesh transmissions and the clutch is usually only required for first gear operation. The drag-racers never use the clutch. They have a momentary kill switch that "burps" or "hiccups" the engine for shifting. The clutch is only used to launch. When I ride on the highway I only use the clutch when I down-shift more than one gear at a time. I have a very small rear sprocket and a large front sprocket which allows me to down-shift to second gear at 60mph. This requires clutch use. Shifting up one or down one I never use the clutch. It saves quite a bit on the clutch cable and will not hurt the gears if you don't go crazy.
Oh-I forgot to mention, this is with any and all of my bikes. From my Mini-bike (KZ900) to my KZ1300.

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000
Last edit: 26 Jun 2010 06:14 by otakar.

More
26 Jun 2010 14:15 #378363 by Omaha Rider
Replied by Omaha Rider on topic Shifting without clutch?
Ok, I replaced the clutch cable, but now there is no tension at all. It's like the return spring on the clutch plate thing is too short. I installed the cable just how it was before, and no tension. I'm very frusterated as I cannot figure this out. I bought a clutch cable for the bike. The spring barely gets tensioned.

1978 KZ650 SR D

More
26 Jun 2010 16:02 #378382 by Omaha Rider
Replied by Omaha Rider on topic Shifting without clutch?
Ok, I pretty much made my own return spring which is longer now. I also adjusted the adjuster on the cable all the way out so it is now working fine.

1978 KZ650 SR D

More
26 Jun 2010 18:13 #378444 by bountyhunter
Replied by bountyhunter on topic Shifting without clutch?
Omaha Rider wrote:

Hi guys, i'm new to the forum and this is my first post. I just recently picked up a 1978 KZ 650 which so far has been amazing. About 20 minutes ago I was riding along and snapped my clutch cable. I rode home in 2nd gear(I think) at 3 1/2 - 4 grand going 25 mph. My question is when I got home, I was able to shift into 1st and neutral thank god. How was I able to do this without a clutch? Was this bad for the transmission?

Thanks

Not if you take it easy. I rode 20 miles home through San Jose with a broken clutch cable shifting up and down through the gears.

1979 KZ-750 Twin

More
26 Jun 2010 18:51 #378452 by rstnick
Replied by rstnick on topic Shifting without clutch?
Welcome Omaha Rider.
Love to see some pix of your 650.
B)

Rob
CANADA

Need a key for your Kawasaki? PM me

1978 KZ650 C2, 130K kms, Delkevic ex, EI, CVK32, PMC easy clutch, ATK fork brace, steering damper, braced swingarm, 18" Z1R front wheel.
2000 ZRX1100
2011 Ninja 250R
2005 z750s

More
27 Jun 2010 06:14 #378508 by 650ed
Replied by 650ed on topic Shifting without clutch?
Omaha Rider wrote:

Ok, I replaced the clutch cable, but now there is no tension at all. It's like the return spring on the clutch plate thing is too short. I installed the cable just how it was before, and no tension. I'm very frusterated as I cannot figure this out. I bought a clutch cable for the bike. The spring barely gets tensioned.

Welcome aboard. You either have the wrong cable, it is not seated properly in the engine's left side cover, or it' is way out of adjustment. I saw that you did a home made fix, but I would still check out the problem to see what's wrong. Do you have a Kawasaki factory manual? It will show you how everything should be seated and adjusted. Ed

1977 KZ650-C1 Original Owner - Stock (with additional invisible FIAMM horn)

More
27 Jun 2010 18:26 #378658 by Galactica
Replied by Galactica on topic Shifting without clutch?
I too sometimes upshift without the clutch. But it seems to me that if there is any chance that any additional wear may occur by doing so, a little effort of squeezing the clutch lever could save $ and a pain in the ass. Much cheeper to replace a clutch cable than rebuilding a transmission.

77KZ1000
76 KZ900

More
28 Jun 2010 05:09 #378708 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic Shifting without clutch?
welcome, I shift both up and down without the clutch, just have to learn the rpm band of the bike. as far as the cable, there are 2 places to take slack out of the cable, one at the lever abd the other about mid way down the cable, it may be all the way "out" at that point.

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

More
08 Jul 2010 16:03 #381138 by turboguzzi
Replied by turboguzzi on topic Shifting without clutch?
otakar wrote:

These are all synchro-mesh transmissions and the clutch is usually only required for first gear operation.

all true but bike's boxes are definetely not synchro. Car's manual transmissions do have synchros that slow down relative speed between the engaging dogs.

on some bikes though you do WISH there were synchros :)

TG

More
09 Jul 2010 19:20 - 09 Jul 2010 19:23 #381373 by Polar_Bus
Replied by Polar_Bus on topic Shifting without clutch?
Cars use synchros, while most all M/C use a "constant mesh" type tranny. The gear teeth are always meshed, and needed torque is redirected via male and female gear "dogs". There is no need to use the clutch while up or downshifting. All's you need to do is momentariarily "unload" the torque via the throttle to allow a shift to the next gear. There is however slightly elevated levels of abuse placed on the male dog pins under WOT up shifts. I race a CR125 powered shifter kart and we shift clutchless at 12,500 rpm's. A rebuild is usually required after about 200 hours on the gearbox. Motocross bike trannies use extra beefy through hardened tranny gears to withstand clutchless shifting.

Bikes:
'84 GPz1100
'06 HD Fatboy
Last edit: 09 Jul 2010 19:23 by Polar_Bus.