terrible sound from clutch bevel cover

More
25 Jun 2010 17:09 #378212 by badr0bot
terrible sound from clutch bevel cover was created by badr0bot
I've been getting a terrible sound lately coming from the clutch bevel cover on my KZ1000 when I pull in the clutch lever. It sounds like the clutch pushrod is grinding against the clutch release lever. It sounds a lot like bearings full of sand and gravel. When rolling to a stop, in gear, with the clutch lever pulled in, the gravely sound is directly related to the rolling wheel speed. When I come to a stop the sound goes away. But if I put it in neutral with the clutch engaged the sound returns. When I release the lever the sound stops.
I can actually feel the vibrations coming from the clutch bevel cover if I put my fingers on it. It is definitely being transferred right to the cover through the clutch pushrod.
Since there is no bearing mechanism for the clutch pushrod to spin within the release mechanism I am assuming that the clutch pushrod should not be spinning? If this is true, I'm guessing that an internal clutch problem is causing the clutch pushrod to spin. Is my logic correct so far? And if so does anyone know how bad the diagnosis is and where I should be looking?

87 KZ1000 P1

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
25 Jun 2010 18:13 #378217 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic terrible sound from clutch bevel cover
are you sure its not the chain/sprocket making noise under there? B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
26 Jun 2010 07:16 #378271 by badr0bot
Replied by badr0bot on topic terrible sound from clutch bevel cover
Yeah its not the chain. I can hear it when stopped and in neutral with the clutch engaged.

87 KZ1000 P1

More
26 Jun 2010 07:19 #378274 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic terrible sound from clutch bevel cover
its not your cam chain making noise is it?

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
26 Jun 2010 07:33 #378276 by TexasKZ
Replied by TexasKZ on topic terrible sound from clutch bevel cover
Could it be the pushrod has fused to the ball bearing and the noise it makes is masked at speed by wind and engine noise?

If not, then it seems to be a noise that happens under a no load condition. I wonder if something has come loose in the clutch assembly that makes no or very little noise when under load?

1982 KZ1000 LTD parts donor
1981 KZ1000 LTD awaiting resurrection
2000 ZRX1100 not ridden enough

More
26 Jun 2010 08:12 #378282 by badr0bot
Its not the cam chain. And its not masked at speed. It is under no load condition though.

87 KZ1000 P1

More
26 Jun 2010 09:17 #378297 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic terrible sound from clutch bevel cover
badr0bot wrote:

...if I put it in neutral with the clutch engaged the sound returns. When I release the lever the sound stops....

Would concur with TexasKZ.

Just to clear the terminology ---

Disengaged --- When handlebar clutch lever is squeezed against the grip, the clutch is then supposedly disengaged (not engaged), meaning the plates are spread apart.

Engaged --- When handlebar clutch lever is in normal riding position (not being squeezed), the clutch is then supposedly engaged, meaning the plates are pressed together.

What is the symptom? --- Engine running with transmission in neutral and handlebar clutch lever being squeezed (clutch disengaged), hear the sound. And when lever is released (clutch engaged), the sound disappears.

Does the sound appear under any circumstances when the clutch is engaged (lever not squeezed)?

Does the sound appear only when the clutch is disengaged (lever being squeezed)?

Perhaps there is something loose and rattling when the clutch is disengaged (plates spread apart), but not loose and rattling when the clutch is engaged (plates pressed together). Such as possibly a piece off broken plate?

Likely time to take a look inside at the clutch plates, etc.

Good Fortune! :)

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD

More
26 Jun 2010 19:01 #378453 by badr0bot
Patton wrote:

badr0bot wrote:

...if I put it in neutral with the clutch engaged the sound returns. When I release the lever the sound stops....

What is the symptom? --- Engine running with transmission in neutral and handlebar clutch lever being squeezed (clutch disengaged), hear the sound. And when lever is released (clutch engaged), the sound disappears.
That is correct.

Does the sound appear only when the clutch is disengaged (lever being squeezed)?
Yes

Perhaps there is something loose and rattling when the clutch is disengaged (plates spread apart), but not loose and rattling when the clutch is engaged (plates pressed together). Such as possibly a piece off broken plate?

Likely time to take a look inside at the clutch plates, etc.

Good Fortune! :)

I think I may have to pull it apart to see what's up.

87 KZ1000 P1