Opinions desperately wanted, please..Purty Please!

• Capt America
  • Topic Author
  • User
  • Born Bad
More
23 Jun 2010 19:25 - 23 Jun 2010 20:07 #377841 by Capt America
Any and all input would truly be appreciated. All to do with 750 twin.

So here's the deal. I'm one way or another going to get this old 77 b2 motor in my 83 ride using my belt drive. That part is all worked out, 77 harness prepped and ready to go on in place of my 83 system. Regulator and rectifier both check out as ok.

It's this little hiccup I'd like to get opinions on.

I heard a rumor you could use a 79 charging system on the 77. I dunno, perhaps the 79 was still close enough for that to work. However it will not work with the 80 and 83 flywheels I have to choose from, in both cases the tapper on the 77 shaft is smaller than it is on the other two. Not to mention bolt differences and torque settings. So that idea is out, as I'm pretty sure a wobbly flywheel can't be good business. :blush:

I hunted around a bit and found a used (but tested good) stator and field coil for $60.00 Canuck. So I'm going to put it to use along with the motor. The starter clutch is another matter, after reading a horror story on them I've decided to wave bye, bye, to it. It wasn't looking real good anyway, had lost a tiny piece of metal off backing.

My problem is I'm not sure which way to go.

There is an oil journal on the crank that can't be ignored. Yet, I wanted to completely lose the sprockets and chain and starter, along with the other disposable starter clutch pieces.

Option 1: To keep the journal covered as it had been and provide a seal for the one behind. I've cut the center out of one of my spare sprockets, (an easy enough thing) but I'm wondering if I should go ahead with it now, because it's going to rotate with the crank shaft without a chain holding it in stationary.

I'm unsure if there would be enough oil coming from the journal and the backside (which is open to oil feed from a journal behind it) to keep it from wearing away at the aluminum casing. There is a tiny amount of free play, but it could rub against the casing surface. The journal on the crank was there to lube the bushing inside of the sprocket as it sat there unmoving on the crank except during startup with the electric. It's only at startup that it would ever rotate against the aluminum case, imo at least.

I'm really unsure if it can be allowed to rotate freely with the crank and not wear away material from the casing... I'm thinking lots of oil there, might be ok???

Option 2: Or should I just stick the sprocket and chain in there and give up my dreams of totally loosing the electric starter system? No biggy if I can't follow my dream. I'll just do it like the person did whom I'm stealing the idea from in the first place.

Here as some pics to give an idea of what I'm worried about. Please excuse them my good camera died.

Capt A merica
1983 K1 750 twin
Ontario, Canada.
Last edit: 23 Jun 2010 20:07 by Capt America. Reason: stupidity

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• Rainman
  • Sustaining Member
  • and a little Kaw shall lead them
More
23 Jun 2010 20:56 #377878 by Rainman
Capt,
My choice of your two options would be #1,to install the modified parts back onto the crank. That should maintain the oil flow as intended, whether it is rotating or not.
It looks like all burrs are removed from the backside (case side) of the starter gear center where you removed it from the outer ring. You should be fine.

Good Luck,

Jim

80 KZ750 H1 - the Kaw calf
79 KZ750 Twin - Miss Nov 2008 KZR calander
79 KZ750 Twin parts bike
78 KZ650 C2 Parts Bike
75 KZ400 Wife's old bike sold
81 KZ440 A2 LTD Wife's new bike
84 Honda 450 Rebel Wife's newest bike
Jim
Quincy,IL

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.