Case bolts loose. I'm punting.

• fredgarvin42
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Jun 2010 16:01 #377601 by fredgarvin42
Case bolts loose. I'm punting. was created by fredgarvin42
My chain case cover bolts are not even coming close to staying torqued. I replaced my sprockets and chain and had to do a little cheating to get the cover to stay on about six months ago knowing it would be a problem later, so....

I ordered a engine bolt set for the scoot and tried the same trick since the cover started popping outward at the bottom when I'd use the clutch. New bolts old trick did not work. They're the same size bolts but now you can just shove them in so I'm hosed. I attempted tapping a more course thread in the case with some red thread lock and found myself stranded because the bolts backed out and the shifter came loose. I'm thinking heli-coil insert action. Any suggestions?

I attached a file with the offending areas of bolt failure for your viewing pleasure. The bolt next to the shifter has never been there.

The real piss off is I JUST installed fresh VM26's from WG because one my original carbs was not rebuild able (boogered mixture screw and I made it worse). I rode it for two weeks tweakin and tunin and it runs great! Now , it's back to sitting on the jack.

BTW WG does real good work. Dude seemed a trite busy but it's worth the wait. He's a straight shooter and does great work (I took em apart to see what I paid for and I was completely satisfied with his attention to detail.

Any thoughts on securing that side cover properly will be appreciated!!!!

1980 LTD 1000
1985 Ninja 600
1984 YZ 490

Austin,TX

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• fredgarvin42
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
22 Jun 2010 16:03 #377602 by fredgarvin42
Replied by fredgarvin42 on topic Case bolts loose. I'm punting.
I guess PDF attachments don't fly. The offending bolts are the two long ones towards the front of the chain cover that are the ones I'm having the most trouble with.

1980 LTD 1000
1985 Ninja 600
1984 YZ 490

Austin,TX

More
22 Jun 2010 16:08 #377605 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic Case bolts loose. I'm punting.
blue loc tite does wonders,id check all the other bolts including motor mounts at same time B)

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
22 Jun 2010 16:10 #377607 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic Case bolts loose. I'm punting.
Drill & tap for thread repair such as HELI-COIL, or an oversize bolt, other wise welding and re-threading the original size 6x1.0mm I believe. Any thing else will be a short lived repair. Make sure all of the bolts are there and will torque properly, also lube your clutch pivot arm.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
22 Jun 2010 16:29 #377613 by beefsquasher
Replied by beefsquasher on topic Case bolts loose. I'm punting.
I had the exact same problem on my bike. Helicoiled the 2 upper bolt holes and the 1 lower rear bolt hole to original 6x1 size. Drilled out lower front hole in sprocket cover to take an 8mm bolt, then installed an 8x1.25 helicoil in the lower front position in the crankcase. Very difficult to get a tap and drill in there STRAIGHT to do the job, so take your time. I got a long 8mm allen for the lower front hole at a metric fasteners store. Had to buy 5, it was like $5 or something like that.

-Dave

1977 KZ1000 Mutt - 1075, Kenny Harmon Cams .400", RS34, Kerker, Dyna S

1997 Honda XR250R
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 BMW R60/5

• fredgarvin42
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
23 Jun 2010 22:04 #377882 by fredgarvin42
Yeah, that's what I figured. It is TOUGH to get a drill and tap in there. When I removed the broken bolts on the first run using an easy out was a real treat. Someone would make a killing making extensions for those things!

It seems things happen to the older scooters (prior owners, my screw ups,etc.) that simply need tending too. Its well worth it to me. I've also learned, ya gotsta check the torque on everything and typically apply blue loctite and re-torque stuff. When I first bought the bike the rear sprocket was about to fall off.

Thanks for all the feedback!!!

Right on ride on...

Jay

1980 LTD 1000
1985 Ninja 600
1984 YZ 490

Austin,TX

• testarossa
  • User
  • Attack life, it's only trying to kill you.
More
24 Jun 2010 04:20 #377891 by testarossa
Replied by testarossa on topic Case bolts loose. I'm punting.
Hey Jay, click the link for a tap extension:http://www.mcmaster.com/#tap-extensions/=7o4fko They are not cheap, but probably cheaper than a new block.

I would personally try to order a heli-coil kit and fix those threads that way.

1978 KZ1000 A2 Click--->Build Thread
2004 ZX-10R
2007 Harley Sportster 1200
2020 Harley Street Glide Special
Angola, IN

More
24 Jun 2010 04:27 #377892 by beefsquasher
Replied by beefsquasher on topic Case bolts loose. I'm punting.
Instead of a tap extension, I used a tap chuck from Snap-On that can be used with regular ratchet extensions. FYI.

-Dave

1977 KZ1000 Mutt - 1075, Kenny Harmon Cams .400", RS34, Kerker, Dyna S

1997 Honda XR250R
1977 Yamaha XS360
1972 BMW R60/5

More
27 Jun 2010 14:43 #378606 by sarge383
Replied by sarge383 on topic Case bolts loose. I'm punting.
remember to clean all grease and oil out of the threads before useing locktight it can lessen its effectivness. brake clean works very well for this purpose.

kz 650d2 sr 79

• fredgarvin42
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
01 Jul 2010 17:58 #379537 by fredgarvin42
Well...

The two front side cover bolts were redone using 1/4 inch bolts /w heli-coils. Worked like a champ! The bolt closest to the shifter has become a major problem.

It seems like there has been some monkey business in the past and I cant tell what is what down there. A chunk is missing (about (3/4)out of the receiving side of the bolt on the case closest to the shifter. It also appears that the bolt may have been in to the case but I'm not sure.

My next move was to use a nut and bolt combo by removing some of the JB weld from the case which kinda worked but not to my satisfaction. I may have to JB weld the nut in there. DRAG! I did notice that once the cover was installed the clutch didn't feel right after basic adjustment on the worm gear. I pulled the cover off, put it in 1st and all was well. With the cover on it seems like the clutch is not completely disengaging. It seems like there's something missing. Is there supposed to be a sleeve that fits over the end of the clutch rod to snuggify the fit to the worm gear? It's been apart so long now I don't remember.

Thoughts? Thanks again for all the feedback so far!

Jay

1980 LTD 1000
1985 Ninja 600
1984 YZ 490

Austin,TX