backfiring and wont rev

More
19 Jun 2010 11:12 #376803 by deezil
backfiring and wont rev was created by deezil
I have kz200 I have been working on here and there.

I bought it after finding in a garage for 20 some odd years. It has 11k miles on it.

I replaced the coil, points, plug had the tank cleaned and I put a new carb kit in it with the same size jets it had when I got it. They are the stock size.

The bike fires up real quick and will settle into a great idle. But thats it.... give it anything above 1/4 throttle and it sputters and backfires loudly.

The carb was pretty clean to begin with and I soaked it in yama dip for 2 days. It should be perfect. Nothing changes when messing with air screw.

I'm not really sure on what I should check next.

I am open for any Ideas or advice you can give.

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

More
19 Jun 2010 11:33 - 19 Jun 2010 11:39 #376807 by Patton
Replied by Patton on topic backfiring and wont rev
deezil wrote:

...kz200...bike fires up real quick and will settle into a great idle. But that's it.... give it anything above 1/4 throttle and it sputters and backfires loudly.

The carb was pretty clean to begin with and I soaked it in yama dip for 2 days. It should be perfect. Nothing changes when messing with air screw....

Nothing changes when messing with air screw --- a classic sign of dirty carb pilot circuit.

If not already fitted, a good after-market in-line fuel filter is essential. Such as available from Z1E.

Would also assure the advancer unit is clean and lubed, and properly functioning. And NOT sticking.

Uncertain which carb is on the bike at hand, but here's a method to clean the pilot circuit in a Mikuni manual slide carb with side-located pilot air screw.

Good Fortune! :)

[Click on image to enhance view.]

1973 Z1
KZ900 LTD
Attachments:
Last edit: 19 Jun 2010 11:39 by Patton.

More
19 Jun 2010 12:09 #376815 by deezil
Replied by deezil on topic backfiring and wont rev
Everything was cleaned with compressed air Everything in the carb is varnish free. All ports were checked over and over to make sure they were open.

It is a Kehien PW26 carb.

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
19 Jun 2010 19:39 #376912 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic backfiring and wont rev
Points Ignition? Change out the condenser? Sounds like a condenser fault.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...

More
19 Jun 2010 22:22 #376938 by deezil
Replied by deezil on topic backfiring and wont rev
I have set being sent to me. I will try those out. I think it is coming with a condensor. Can I use a automotive style condensor if they don't come with it?

• Motor Head
  • User
  • FIX UP YOUR BIKE RIGHT AND CHEAP
More
20 Jun 2010 06:41 #376977 by Motor Head
Replied by Motor Head on topic backfiring and wont rev
Should be able to, take 1 and hold it to the connections and see if it straightens out.
Best to convert over as you will be way better off, in the short and long term.

1982 KZ1000LTD K2 Vance & Hines 4-1 ACCEL COILS Added Vetter fairing & Bags. FOX Racing rear Shocks, Braced Swing-arm, Fork Brace, Progressive Fork Springs RT Gold Emulators, APE Valve Springs, 1166 Big Bore kit, RS34's, GPZ cams.
1980 KZ550LTD C1 Stock SOLD Miss it
1979 MAZDA RX7 in the works, 13B...