KZ1000 Crank Balanced Falicon

• boogiepicker
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 Jun 2010 15:56 #376141 by boogiepicker
KZ1000 Crank Balanced Falicon was created by boogiepicker
I sent my 77 KZ1000 Crankshaft to Falicon and had it inspected blueprinted,balanced and welded,they also replaced #5 main thrust assembly.I got the bike back together and road it 250 miles and it does'nt feel any smoother at all ! It buzzes badly in the footpegs and handlebars. When I got the crank back and Before I installed it, I inspected it and I can see all the nice welds but no indication anywhere that its been balanced.I work in a machine shop and we have balanced things like pulleys from electric motors by drilling holes in the heavey area. Shouldn't I see some area where metal has been removed? I want to call them and complain but I dont know if I have some kind of justification. Am I expecting too much I'd be interested in hearing from other people that have had their cranks balanced and what results they have experienced Thanks

Please Log in or Create an account to join the conversation.

• muddy1
  • User
  • 1980 Kz1000 LTD B4
More
16 Jun 2010 16:07 #376143 by muddy1
Replied by muddy1 on topic KZ1000 Crank Balanced Falicon
I would call them like yesterday!

1970 SL-70
1972 CB 750
1973 Z1
1976 YZ 125
1976 KZ400
1979 KZ400 LTD
1980 KZ1000 LTD B4
1984 YZ 490
1989 750 Ninja

More
16 Jun 2010 18:22 #376177 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic KZ1000 Crank Balanced Falicon
have you checked the pistons to make sure the weights are close? the layout of a kz crank cancels out quite a bit,but if your pistons are totally out of whack it can only do so much.
what else have you done to the engine? have you checked the clutch and basket? how about your stator? ........

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
16 Jun 2010 18:49 #376188 by richard head
Replied by richard head on topic KZ1000 Crank Balanced Falicon
Falicon is one of the best. I know dozen of race motors he has done crank work on. Going to send him a couple of triple cracks soon to rework and index. Altough, if you are sure of your other issues as Plummen mentioned, then call Glen.

• boogiepicker
  • Topic Author
  • User
More
16 Jun 2010 19:17 #376206 by boogiepicker
Replied by boogiepicker on topic KZ1000 Crank Balanced Falicon
I wonder if i should remove the altenator rotor and run it just to see if it makes a difference the rotor is from a kz900 .What could be wrong with the clutch?

More
16 Jun 2010 19:23 #376208 by otakar
Replied by otakar on topic KZ1000 Crank Balanced Falicon
I was curious, what it cost you to get the crank done?

74 Z1-A stock
76 KZ-900 Totaly stock vice MAC pipe
77 KZ-1000A stock
78 Z1-R 100%MINT 500 original Mi.
78 Z1-R Yoshi 1103 kit stage 1 cams Yoshi pipe. Etc
79 KZ-1300 (1400)
80 KZ-1300
81 Scratch built GPz1150R
82 KZ1000

More
16 Jun 2010 19:52 #376219 by PLUMMEN
Replied by PLUMMEN on topic KZ1000 Crank Balanced Falicon
boogiepicker wrote:

I wonder if i should remove the altenator rotor and run it just to see if it makes a difference the rotor is from a kz900 .What could be wrong with the clutch?

if the basket is worn out or springs are bad,lots of things whirling around inside a motor can cause vibration.if the rotor on end of crank isnt straight or loose on crank it would shake also.
did falicon send you a sheet with the specs on the crank?ive got a supercrank they did for my turbo project still crated up that came with a work order of what was done to the crank

Still recovering,some days are better than others.

More
16 Jun 2010 20:07 #376222 by davel
Replied by davel on topic KZ1000 Crank Balanced Falicon
boogiepicker wrote:

It buzzes badly in the footpegs and handlebars. When I got the crank back and Before I installed it, I inspected it and I can see all the nice welds but no indication anywhere that its been balanced.

Definitely call them. There should be some signs of balancing especially after adding welding material. Let us know what they say.

I've been considering Falicon for balancing my GS1100 crank but I have yet to hear from someone that had good results with Falicon after balancing a press together roller crank.

More
16 Jun 2010 21:55 #376253 by kawsakiman
Replied by kawsakiman on topic KZ1000 Crank Balanced Falicon
i have squirreled away a crank that Falicon did for me that is a 900 crank with gs rods.
i have never heard any bitches about them or any of their work ever.
they are the top in their field.
don't get me wrong, a lot of others are capable of doing just as fine of a job.
but like plummen said, there are a couple different parts in your motor that can cause a vibration.
if it buzzed before and after, i would suspect you have a different problem.
and btw, almost all kz's buzz a little.
i guess we keed to know if it's a small one or a hand numbing buzz.
again, plummen said to check your clutch basket. they are a weak link in these motors.
that's why ape sells a kit for them.
but beware. do it yourselfers can throw the balance off on a clutch basket and make it worst that it might all ready be.
some things are just better left to the pro's.

someday i will be able to afford my kz habit.

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
17 Jun 2010 07:07 - 17 Jun 2010 07:20 #376313 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic KZ1000 Crank Balanced Falicon
Before people jump on the Bash Falicon Wagon, take a deep breath and check your motormount bolts and the rest of the fasteners on the bike. ;)

It can make all the difference if the fasteners are loose.

They balance the crank by grinding the counterweights. You might not notice it unless you looked it over closely.

Piston weight match is your final step for smothness.

Over the years I've installed dozens of Falicon cranks in KZ motors and never had a problem with a press up from them.
Last edit: 17 Jun 2010 07:20 by larrycavan.

More
17 Jun 2010 14:23 #376371 by BSKZ650
Replied by BSKZ650 on topic KZ1000 Crank Balanced Falicon
ok, correct me if I am worng, but to balance a rotaing assembly, why wouldnt you include the pistons, rings ( or at least one set )and anything that attaches to the assembly for balancing.

I have balanced a lot of motors over the years, and always had items like balances and flywheels, along with the pistons and rings.

Just askin?

77 kz650, owned for over 25 years
77 ltd1000, current rider
76 kz900, just waiting
73 z1,, gonna restore this one
piglet, leggero harley davidson
SR, Ride captian, S.E.Texas Patriot Guard Riders.. AKA KawaBob

• larrycavan
  • Visitor
17 Jun 2010 15:55 - 17 Jun 2010 16:00 #376403 by larrycavan
Replied by larrycavan on topic KZ1000 Crank Balanced Falicon
BSKZ650 wrote:

ok, correct me if I am worng, but to balance a rotaing assembly, why wouldnt you include the pistons, rings ( or at least one set )and anything that attaches to the assembly for balancing.

I have balanced a lot of motors over the years, and always had items like balances and flywheels, along with the pistons and rings.

Just askin?

The crank is paired with 180* separation. So if you balance the crank assembly by itself, as long as the piston assemblies are matched for weight, it will be balanced as a complete assembly.

Anything that bolts to the ends of the crank, are assumed to be balanced from the factory. Generally there's no problem with alternator rotor balance. But yes, you're correct that could affect the balance situation.

I know it sounds like over simplification but loose bolts account for most vibration problems. I'm not talking about ready to fall apart loose but just not tight like they should be.

Most times when someone would complain about vibration in the foot pegs, it's because the bolts were not tight. I had people actually ask what was done to the bike at the 500 mile service because it was not vibrating like it did when they brought it in.....Simple fastener check before you roll it off the lift can do wonders....:)
Last edit: 17 Jun 2010 16:00 by larrycavan.